running one fuel pump

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
onebun

running one fuel pump

Post by onebun »

can anyone offer any info on what type of single fuel pump they are running on there vmax?i have a dual output mikkuni with 1 pulse line and 1 intake line from the tank,my sled runs great if i load the carbs with fuel, disconnect the intake line from the tank,shut it off starts great when it starts to run out of fuel i just put the intake line back on for a few seconds till it starts going again and it runs good till it looses fuel again!if i leave it there it floods,gas in pipes and wet plugs.now the carbs where at the dealer neadle and seats where changed float hieght is correct,the fuel pump was rebuilt and moves fuel with ease,i am waiting on a new pump to try and swap it out. i was running both pulse lines "T" off into one and hooked up but changed it to one line.and i made sure i plugged the other line off good.and it still floods,if i suck on the pulse line i get no gas in my mouth and fuel comes out the outputs.any ideas?im thinking maybe i got the wrong fuel pump but i think it is off of a 81 srx thanks john
jefflanthier

Post by jefflanthier »

i,m wondering if maybe a float has a hole in it ? Or the float pins in the carbs some times need a good cleaning, The pin holes in the floats get gummed up i use a piece of wire to kinda scrape them out . Just a thought! And make sure the fuel pump is put together correctly just in case there was a mistake made. good luck
Sleds owned 1979 500cc eltigre 5000, 1981 340cc polaris cutlass, 1989 250 cc skidoo tundra, 1986 463cc skidoo formula mx, 1979 362 cc mirage(citation) 1985 543 cc vmax and a 1987 phazer
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

My guess would be a leaking needle and seat. With the float bowl off, you can put a hose on the inlet and blow gently, When you push the float up by hand, you can feel the air stop blowing threw if its sealing.
Haven't tried it on my VM, on my SRV which makes about 85 HP I run one pump with 39.5 carbs, have done it for years with no problems
sxr1000

Post by sxr1000 »

I use a pump from a 95 vmax,your problem sounds like a hole in the diaphram.
onebun

Post by onebun »

would the pump still move fuel if there was a hole?
onebun

Post by onebun »

is that pump vmax 500 or 600 or are they the same?
sxr1000

Post by sxr1000 »

500 and 600 are the same.
onebun

Post by onebun »

thanks found that the power jet is dumping fuel in like crazy