83 Vmax quit running

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
woodydog

83 Vmax quit running

Post by woodydog »

We had a little bit of snow here in Wisconsin so took the 83 out for a spin. I made it 1.9 miles before it quit running. It felt like it was running well wide open for a short burst, then it bogged and slowly revved down and quit. I tried to pull it over and the rope just came out. The pull rope goes back in when you physically roll the clutch over but it doesn't grab anything to start it. Does the recoil have to be working to get the thing to start? I noticed now that there is only a couple bolts holding the recoil on. I just bought the sled 2 months ago and was told when I bought it that it had new pistons rings (top end) put in this last spring. I took the head off and the pistons look good, no carbon on them, no burn marks, etc.. It turns over freely with the clutch so I think everything is still ok up top. Any ideas of what might be wrong? Also what is the head supposed to be torqued to? Thanks, any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
BradSRX

Iginition

Post by BradSRX »

first off, fix the recoil. Then check the ignition. make sure it has fire. Then work form there. Brad
SLEDS: 06 Apex GT, 99 SRX 700, (1) 87 V-Max, (1) 85 V-Max 540, (1) 84 V-Max 540, (2) 83 V-Max 540, (1) 78 SRX 440, (1) 74 GPX 433, 81 Kawasaki Intruder 440, 83 Ski-Doo Citation SS, 74 Sno-Jet Sabre-Jet 440, 72 Polaris Colt 175, 69 SL-351
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

You need to get the rewind fixed first off, then after you get the head back on you need to torque the nuts to 14.5 ft-lbs and the bolts to 14.5 ft-lbs , then go back and re torque the nuts to 21.5 ft-lbs and the bolts to 18 ft.lbs . Then I would check for spark if OK try to start it up , if it starts and runs OK then you need to check the fuel system, make sure you check the fuel filter , it is in the fuel tank after 23 years it maybe getting plugged.
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Wodydog

Vmax quit running

Post by Wodydog »

Found the problem, took the jug off on the clutch side and it is scored from rings sticking? What kind of work is it to pull the motor to check the crank seals etc..? I need to find out what caused it to stick those rings.
Thanks for all of your help.
md