81 srx rebuild

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

oh wow then you are on top of things!... i wish i had a lathe!!!... youll be good with the 108 now... im not sure if the offest is the same for that setup as it is for stock... maybe chuck will jump one here over lunch (5mins from now) or this evening and be able to tell you how to do it in a different way... its really a easy thing to do just hard to explain in little black and white letters...
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
onebun

Post by onebun »

thanks for your help tyler but i dont think that is nesassary i talked to buddy were hooking up on friday he should be able to get it he's been a yammi tech for almost 30 years and knows the srx and vmax very well from back in the day.onebun
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

ok awesome!... make sure you tighten the hell outta those motor mount bolts then, when you get it set right
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
onebun

Post by onebun »

here is a couple of pics i'm the good looking guy next to the sled,nice and sunny and warm here today so i quit working on the project and took the yfz to the sand pit for some climbs and other fun stuff.
onebun

Post by onebun »

onebun

Post by onebun »

well got the cluthches set up nice nice,engine torqued down,carbs and air box on as well as a few other things taken care of and also checked for spark no problems there should be starting up tommorrow if things go as well as they did today.
onebun

Post by onebun »

got it running today but was't pulling fuel so took the fuel pump off to rebuild it went back at it and found it had no spark mmmm...checked all connections even swapped cdi,ingnition coil no change so i'm thinking maybe stator(did not have my tester with me)i have heard somtimes they will kick in and out,will try again tommorrow.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

best thing to do when you dont have spark is to calm down and carefully go thru everything from the stator to the plug..... i think a lot of peeple get scared by wires and dont carefully do everything... make sure you check your switches too!

onebun

Post by onebun »

yes thats good advice tyler,i just went thru every wire and electrical components about two weeks ago and all was fine,going to pull the motor and swap the stator to my spare and start all over again.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah you dont actually have to pull the motor to change the stator but it is major pain otherwise and youll need a short short puller to get the flywheel off... ive changed the stator without pulling the motor but i got really lucky.... it might be easier and quicker to just take the damn motor out

onebun

Post by onebun »

ya tyler dont have a short puller,but i could not even get my recoil off to wind it up a bit,its not going back in as fast as i would like you know when you have to play with it to get it to go back in pain in the butt.my stator is reading 170 ohms and absolutly no spark,i would have thought that it would give a weaker spark at least but it is way down from where it should be.tested the wires from the stator plug to the ignition coil and thy are good.Sure glad i enjoy working on this vintage yamaha.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

oh yeah they definitly require work from time to time.... but if you keep on it you should have a good time... the recoils on these sleds are the worst part.... mine does the same thing that you are explaining but i think it is mostly due to the rope being too long... it has been rebuilt and when chuck does it (i let him do it cause i hate them) he puts a longer rope on it so you dont pull the rope the whole way out when you pull it... i think he got a little bit carried away on this one hahaha....

you can get the recoil off with a couple of extensions and some creative poking in from the strut area... as far as the puller tho... i ended up finding something in a cupboard that grandpa had made... it was a big bolt with a nut and 3 smaller nuts welded on to the outside of the big nut... the 3 smaller nuts are drilled out so thier threads dont catch and then you just bolt it on the the flywheel and pray it... the whole setup is probably 4.5 inches long... which is exactly how much room you have there without the starter...

all this said it would probably be easier and quicker to just yank the motor hahaha... but thats a sucky job

agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

this thread is bringing back memories. i improvised with my puller and found that the bolt in the end of my big vice grips fit my puller and walah but i do need to get a good bolt for that next scenario. i gotta pull the motor on my 440 to change the gearcase seal here soon and have to locate the right 102 c clutch puller . for that job :?:
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i snapped a couple pictures lastnight that relate to this post... one is the alrightment tool we use and the others are the homemade puller that manages to pop off flywheels

onebun

Post by onebun »

cool thanks tyler!know any tricks to get a stubborn flywheel off,mine is on there big time,tried the usual with my puller and electric impact(everything set up nice and square)i used the impact and my dad tapped it with a hammer no go.going to try a air impact and hope that works.this stripped my puller also