"un" stucking an Engine

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
MAPEX

"un" stucking an Engine

Post by MAPEX »

Hey Everyone,

I just picked up another 81 SRX...this sled is in pretty good well actually great condition. The guy was lettting it go b/c he didn't really know much about the sled just picked it up as a payment for some work or something. However, the only thing that is wrong with the sled is that the engine is stuck. I pulled the head to take a look and to be honest it looks pretty clean, the top of the pistons aren't even really burnt up so I'm just assuming its stuck on the cylinders maybe from sitting since he did tell me that he knows it hasn't been run since 97.

The question is then do you have any suggestions on what to use or how to get it unstuck without causing any more damage to the cylinders?

Thnaks,
Mike
Sleds:
2007 Yamaha Apex RTX
2 - 1981 Yamaha SRX 440's
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Use a good penetrating oil, something like Kroil or PB Blaster, not WD40. Spray around the rings and let it sit, sometimes for days. Use a piece of wood as a block and a rubber mallet and tap ( not beat) the pistons gently till they come loose. Pay attention to whats happening, besure there is nothing else wrong, and don't force things.
When you get it loosened up, the correct thing to do would be to pull the jugs so you can measure them up and really see if theres any damage, they might need to have a hone run through them and the rings might need to be replaced.
I did have my little 377 Ski Doo lock up on me, soaked them and they we free in an hour, lightly sanded the area on the walls where they stuck, cleaned up the mess and its been running for two years without any problems
MAPEX

Post by MAPEX »

Thanks Bob,

I'll give it a shot and let you know how I make out in the next few days. Great Site!!!

Mike
Sleds:
2007 Yamaha Apex RTX
2 - 1981 Yamaha SRX 440's
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah dont cut corners here... your probably looking at a complete rebuilt, just to be sure... i got my fingers crossed for ya that its not a crank bearing... but if it was a crank bearing it would probably turn a little bit back and forth then jam... just puddle the pb blaster on top of the pistons and let 'er sit for a while... take your time those are decently rare parts dont forget
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
opsled

Post by opsled »

Make sure it is stuck in the cylinders before you go banging on the pistons with anything. As Tyler said it could also be a crank bearing and hitting the piston won't do you any good with that. Check the dipstick on the gearcase for any signs of moisture. If there is pull the drain plug and see what comes out. They were prone to water pump leakage into that gearcase. If that is the problem and it has been sitting for any length of time with water/antifreeze in the gearcase it could be a rusted frozen mess in there. I have seen 4 or 5 locked up 440 or 540's because of gearcase issues. Also remember those are chrome bore so be carful with any honing.

Good Luck,
Phil (opsled)
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah speaking of chrome bores... your going to have a hardtime getting a hone to touch them... thats the idea of chrome, its hard as hell
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
jefflanthier

Post by jefflanthier »

I,m thinking the gearcase is bound up .
Sleds owned 1979 500cc eltigre 5000, 1981 340cc polaris cutlass, 1989 250 cc skidoo tundra, 1986 463cc skidoo formula mx, 1979 362 cc mirage(citation) 1985 543 cc vmax and a 1987 phazer
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

wait a minute!! you pulled the head therfore the cylinders should be able to be lifted right up!?! if they dont lift right up then thats your problem... if the do come right off you got bigger issues.... which is it? hahaha

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Hope my first answer didn't jump the gun here but I too assumed that we had the problem diagnosed. I also agree that a hone won't do much to a chrome bore, but it should clean off any of the rust or ring if there is some stuck to the wall.