VooDoo Max

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well. thank God for Holidays. Got the Pol. Xtra 10 in. It sits and feels like my SRV even tho I mounted it different hoping to get some presure of the skis. Set up the scales to measule ft/ rear weight. Got the SRV done,(490 lbs) then suddenly it occured the VM engine is sittingon the bench, guess we'll do that later :roll:
Also a few pic's of the porting so far, have everything roughed in, have to go by someone with special tools to get into the back transfers, maybe tomorrow.

Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

:roll: :roll: polar-pig parts on a yamaha :( :(
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Hey, I go anyway. Never had a Pol,but its an easy fit. Don't know anything about the skid that came on the VM either. On the one that came with mine, the shocks were shot. I like good shocks, not sure if any of the good rebuild able shocks are made to fit the VM. I got this for 97 bucks with just rebuilt fox's, couldn't buy 1 good shock for that.
My SRV is a '81, that was before the sus. that are just like the VM that started in '83 SRV's. The XTRA 10 made a big difference in there, so now their twins.
Wel'' se how she rides in a month.
onebun

Post by onebun »

much mods to get it to fit bob?I would like to upgrade my 81 skid also but not sure what would fit easy without a tonne of work.thanks john
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Not bad at all, its a common swap on SRV's and there are diagrams over on Sasha's site. Basically on the Pol skid, all I did was shorten up each of the 4 mounting shafts by 3/16. The only thing to watch here is that both the inner shafts are slightly longer then the outer shafts that are welded on to the skid. I did those on the lathe and made them so they had 1/8 hanging out on each end. You could use a GOOD cut off where also just keep it square. These are the solid Alum. bars the bolts threads into. These get mounted tight to the tunnel and the hollow steel bars in the skid rotate on them as they move, you don't want binding against the sides of the tunnel. Took me just over an hour even with 10 brakes to smoke.

If your tunnel is the same as a '83, I can measure out the mounting hole locations. I re used the rear L bracked, just cut off the rivets and moved forward 2 1/4 in. I made new brackets for the front, basicly sq, flat plates with a notch to clear the steel plate by the foot rests. Be sure to use STEEL rivets not alum to mount these.

I originally was going to use a A/C skid, could have been made to work, but would have taken alot more work to narrow it up because of its design, ( rear torque arms)
onebun

Post by onebun »

thanks bob won't be doing it soon but hopefully this season i have access to a lathe and i am familiar with facing so no problem there i gotta figure out whats up with my power jets and get her running good before i do that thanks again john
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

OK, Engines in

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

did i miss something? what motor is that?
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Ok, I was just testin to see if anyone is really looking at this :lol:
Its one of the Rotax's out of the drag sled. I didn't think it would fit because rotary valve engines mount the carbs so low. Really, it looks like it wouldn't take much to get it in, even with big pipes.
Ok back to the real project (not that someday this might not happen) I took the VM engine out to a friend. 20 years ago he used to race 535's in a laydown chassis, now he builds engines for the USSA oval racers.. we degreed the ports, he figures it opens way to soon, I think he's right, but I had to go that far to clean the mess up. It still is a hair under the update porting numbers. I'd like to find another set of cyl's but I'm out of time. My only chance to get up north and ride is durring Deckers race week. We have a week of kart racing between Xmas and NY's and still have 3 more of those to build. Guess its going together the way it is
onebun

Post by onebun »

ya it sure looks like a bombardier!! perhaps a 670HO?
onebun

Post by onebun »

lol ha ha ha i was typing as you were posting pretty funny guy bob!
onebun

Post by onebun »

hey bob do you think your friend would port cyl. for me?thanks john
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Maybe in summer, now he doesn't want to even touch mine. He's like us with the 120 sleds, the season starts in a few weeks. He has engines and tube chassis everywhere that have to be on the track in a few weeks.
I guess I'm happy that we work on race stuff for a living, I love it., but when its year around, you never get your own stuff done. We never get a weekend off because we have to take care of customers at races
onebun

Post by onebun »

next summer would be fine don't feel like pulling it apart agian and its snowing here like crazy 4 inches and counting and my vintage is almost complete but the 700 is ready tho.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Remember when I had that bad cover for the rear bumper, and the new one was $90, well I found a way around that