85 and 87 540 frame / tunnel help

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
rebjr615

85 and 87 540 frame / tunnel help

Post by rebjr615 »

I have an 87 VMAX 540 but the tunnel on the right side when I'm sitting on it is smashed. It has about a 1 foot section that is beyond repair. It was like this when I bought it last year. There is a local snowmobile graveyard close to me that has a tunnel from an 85 VMAX. Does anyone know if they can be switched? I can switch parts from one to the other but I can't really fabricate anything without using duct tape. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Louis

Post by Louis »

I think it have no problem to switch the tunels. If you want to be sure take measure of the holes from the end of the part to the hole (compare). To replace the part you have to remove the seat, coolers suspention, the track, the tank, the direction and a lot of others parts in the front. When your v-max will be boned you will separate the front frame to the tunel while drilling the rivet. When it's done put the new one in place (use aviation grade rivets).
vmax-540

vmax tunnel

Post by vmax-540 »

The tunnels for the 84-87 vmaxs are the same the 83 had some lighter pieces on them and the heat exchangers were differant but the 84s up are the same , the part # is 8X6-21910-70-00 the only thing differant are the decals . :lol: :lol: Image

Post by Guest »

Thank you for that little bit of good news!!! I was really hoping that it would work out that way. I was out bashing on the old tunnel to try to get it straight but there is a huge (5 inch- round) hole and it is cracked in many different directions right between the skid mounting holes. This damage would explain the funny noises I was hearing going around the yard the day I dragged it home. Now I'll have to go get that tunnel and start working. Thanks again for the replies.
louis

Post by louis »

I can send you pictures I did this befor

Post by Guest »

I added my e-mail to my posts. You should be able to send them to me. I appreciate it very much. I will take photo's of my progress and try to post them here under the projects page. Thanks again.
rebjr615

Post by rebjr615 »

Now that i've read the FAQ section my e-mail and user name should be on my posts.
'78 Yamaha ET250
'82 Ski Doo Citation 3500
'87 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530
'87 Yamaha VMAX 540 (SOLD)