mag side piston problems

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
1987vmax

mag side piston problems

Post by 1987vmax »

Hi there I am looking for help with my 87 v max.When I bought the sled the piston on the mag side was melted down. I bought new cylinders & pistons had the carbs done at the local Yamaha shop. I installed new crankseals & did everything I could to make sure it was right. It burned down again then I found the main jets were to lean I thought the dealer would have put them to stock! since I have put #330 MAIN jets & 130 & 135 power jets put it back together & this time the piston looks like somebody took a cheisel to it. I did notice that the mag cylinder runs alot hotter when I put my hand on it. I was running premium fuel as well ANY IDEAS??????????? I have since removed the head & the exhaust side of the piston there are chunks missing from the crown & a peice of the ring is gone aswell Looks like pre detnation.?????
Last edited by 1987vmax on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Are you running the stock air box?
Have you checked to make sure it is all there?
A reduction of the intake restriction will remove some vacuum signal making the engine run lean.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

1987 Vmax

The 330 jets are plenty safe if your airbox has the baffle, there is no porting and there are no air leaks. My best guess is the crank case if not flushed throughly had a piece of old piston/ring or other debris and was sucked into the top of the piston thru the transfer ports and is in effect sandblasting the top of the piston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
1987vmax

Post by 1987vmax »

Vmax540 wrote:1987 Vmax

The 330 jets are plenty safe if your airbox has the baffle, there is no porting and there are no air leaks. My best guess is the crank case if not flushed throughly had a piece of old piston/ring or other debris and was sucked into the top of the piston thru the transfer ports and is in effect sandblasting the top of the piston.
chrisrider63

aahh

Post by chrisrider63 »

:x That sounds like that motor blew hard damn!!
Joe

Post by Joe »

1987vmax:

Can you post a photo of the piston crown?
1987vmax

Piston Pics

Post by 1987vmax »

jipcee

Post by jipcee »

How did you set the timing?
Joe

Post by Joe »

What does the head look like?
Does it have the same texture as the piston?
1987vmax

Post by 1987vmax »

the texture of the head is the same I fiqure it was either pre detnation or the timing or both. To answer your question about timing I just back to where it was when I got it. I have an 83 service manual & if the timing is the same as an 1987 than it is not correct. I am determined to fiqure this problem out.
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

The problem is above the rings not below them so it is not a oil or piston fit problem, The timing is the same on the 83 and 87 it should be (1.6 +0r- 0.05mm or 0.063 +or-0.002 inch)before TDC. You said that the carbs were done by a Yamaha dealer did they synchronize them on the sled? You said the mag cylinder feels warmer then the PTO cylinder does ,so it sounds like either that cylinder is working more then the other one or maybe the other one is not putting out like it should ,I have seen that happen before ,also this sled has the carbs jetted different on the mag then the pto could you have gotten them mixed up by mistake, they are numbered right next to the choke plunger . Also when in the power band does this happen ,does it happen at full or part throttle ,just because you richened the main up it could be a different jet that is cousing the problem, I would take the carbs back apart and check ALL the jets to make sure they are right.. Here is the standard jetting for the 87, also check you fuel line for restriction ,and what is the compression on both cylinders? . Good luck

PTO carb 80N00L Mag carb 80N00R
Mains ______________ 290's ________________
Pilots _______________ # 40's ________________
Air screw _____________ 1/2 turn out + or - 1/4 _____
Power jets #135 #130
Power air jet #1.5 #1.4
Needle jet _____________ 6DH1-4 ___________________
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
1987vmax

Post by 1987vmax »

the carbs weren't syncronized but that is something that I will be checking now as for the jets they are correct & I made sure they went on the right side.The one thing I didn't mention was when I put the sled back together It wouldn't idle for some reason. I never had that problem before. I also checked the air box the baffles are still in it.The local sled shop says I should run OEM pistons as well if they are still available. It currently has kimpex pistons in it. But for now I am going to put a motor out of am 83 in
sxr1000

Post by sxr1000 »

This could also be from a crankshaft bearing going out and the metal pieces are pounding the top of the piston,did you find any metal in the pipe or muffler?
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Kimpex pistons are fine, I have used them before without any problems.If it wouldn't idle then maybe there is an air leak some where?
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

sxr1000 wrote:This could also be from a crankshaft bearing going out and the metal pieces are pounding the top of the piston,did you find any metal in the pipe or muffler?
i was kinda wondering the same thing myself but it looks like the outside of the piston is all beat up and not so much in the middle... i would think if it was crank bearing or part of a ring it would hit all of the piston equally
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com