My 84 VMAX won't start

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
plattler

My 84 VMAX won't start

Post by plattler »

I'm having some trouble getting my VMAX to cooperate. Maybe it likes being in a warm shop? Here's a list of things I've done and what the sled is doing. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Things I've done

Purged all old gas, drained and cleaned carbs
New, high octane gas with octane booster (should be around 93)
Replaced CDI with used one
Replaced coil with new one
Checked all resistances and ground continuities. (checks out ok)
New spark plugs
Checked timing using dial indicator method. (looks good)
Shot of fuel direct into cylinders (no effect)
Checked compression (125 psi both cylinders)

What's happening

With plugs out, the spark jumps a 1 cm (3/8") gap

The plugs seem to be firing at the same time (I thought they should alternate)

The engine will "pop" every third or fourth pull, but only the left side. It seems like a backfire. The exhuast pipe does get warm.

Tried starting with and without choke, with and without throttle.

Both plugs are getting damp with fuel. (I don't think it's fooding)

My arms are getting longer (and really tired)

Thanks for any and all help,

Stephan
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

wow sounds like me... youve covered everything and still have problem.... lemme think on this one....
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

if its got compression and spark then all you need to add is the right amount of fuel... what makes you think it isnt flooding? is there any gas in your exhast? in the event you find it very flooded take you pulse line off and attach another hose on there and blow air into the crankcase and the gas will come out easy.....
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
plattler

Post by plattler »

I think I may have found the problem. After removing the flywheel, the stator plate came out in four pieces. Looks like some of the pick-ups contacted the magnets. I'll have to check them and see if they are still usable. Funny that all the resistance tests came out fine.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

hmm interesting... so your stator was broken apart? it must have been way off on the timing then? its a wonder it sparked at all

vmax-540

84 troubles.

Post by vmax-540 »

That is common with the 84 's to have a broken stator . Try to get one from an 85 or 86. There was a stator change in 84 , they are differant then the 83's , they have a extra coil for hand warmers , and the plate was week so in 85 they changed to a stronger plate and that solved the problem. The 87 is also differant as they upped the voltage in one of the coils so if you find an 87 you should also change the CDI box as that matches the coil output of the 87 stater coils. I hope the helps and good luck. :D :D :D Image