83' Vmax Carburetors / Filters or Airbox??

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Bob Vehring

Re: 83' Vmax Carburetors / Filters or Airbox??

Post by Bob Vehring »

I've been very clear anytime I posted that I've never had or heard of a failure, I take it off mine to eliminate all the un needed crap under the hood same with the dual fuel pump stuff, and air box.
What this goes back to is a debate several years ago between Phil and myself about weather the actual ratio of oil to fuel varies in the Yamaha system, not the volume, but the actual ratio like 1oo-1 down to 40-1. I freely admit, I find nothing that answers that in print. But you have not shown me anything either.
Phil I ask questions because I don't pretend to have answers to everything, you always tell me I'm wrong but offer up nothing other then your opinion, simply give me something, show me something from yami or whoever that shows it to me, You suggest I shouldn't post, you stated that Jim from Dynotech, Bruce from PSI, Tim from Benders and others are all wrong. Here's the real truth, were talking about sleds from the early 80's almost every single thing on these sleds is old, out dated technology, absolutely everything can be improved on by whats been learned over the last 30 years.
The org. poster here asked about racing his VM, I offered up what I have leaned, of all the things I listed your still stuck on this oil thing. It is getting old, I'm open to new things, I can say I'm wrong, but give me something other then just your personal opinion. Show me the ratio doesn't change, show me why sticking the jet up in the bowl is a good idea, show how the temp gauge is going to read accurately in that burp tube and show me why we need two pumps fed by small lines when one good pump with 1/4 inch lines feed engines with far more power.
Phil, this is simply a conversation, a place where people exchange info, and talk about it. I'm getting tired of being slammed. Lighten up, stress is a killer
opsled

Post by opsled »

Bob,, you related to that Lasse dude over at TY??

All he wants to do is to tell people to take stuff off their old Yammies and toss them too.

To complicated, Not needed, Hard to work on, Bad design, etc, etc, etc.

Do what ever you want with your stuff Bob, for whatever reasons you like. I don't care. But don't be surprised if someone calls you out when logic disagrees with your advice to others.

I've explained all my thoughts in detail several times over the years and you don't want to hear. You've tried to disprove them but can't. Now I'm supposed to provide you with some sort of proof?? LOL.

How about you , Dynotech, Bender and PSI get together and prove Yamaha wrong. After over 30 years of lies you would think it's about time. Won't happen. Yamaha built that same system from 1983 right on up to 2003? when they quit building two stroke performance sleds. In all those years there was NEVER a problem with it's design and never any reported failures. If that isn't good enough for you throw it away.

Guys like you have been spouting bs and slamming the designs of others for years but want to be offened when called on it. So far I've been easy on you. Let it go and quit bashing what you don't understand. Then I'll be silent.

opsled
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Gee Phil, be as hard as you like, I'm a big boy, you going to come beat me up?
Understand this. The question was about someone taking his sled racing, I told him how I do MY sleds, and IMO why. Whats that's based on is, racing all my life, Wendy drag raced a Yami for 15 years, Regan has raced with USSA for 6 with a Yamaha, and has won at Eagle river. Were at a Snowmobile race just about every single weekend and you know what, I just don't see any race sleds with oil injection on them. or PJ carbs, or multiple small line fuel systems.

Phill, your 100% right, as said, several times, I have not found anything to prove the ratio thing one way or the other, but I have asked, always politely, for you to supply something other then just your opinion on your theory, nor have you given me anything on any other issue I brought up. Its always just you telling me I'm wrong. and its always about the oil thing. I know you have told me your theory many times, thats the problem, you have never given me anything more then your opinion and its clear, more then a few disagree, including some very respected people in this sport. I'm very happy with all my Yamahas, but please don't tell me you haven't heard of some people having problems with these sleds.

See Phill, I don't work like that, I try to show respect for people, believe it or not, you also. I would never tried to make people look bad because their ideas differ from mine, in fact I try to draw out conversation so I can possibly learn from that. This is why I keep looking for something beside your opinion to prove this. When I post, I give reasons why I believe what I do. I watch so many forums daily specifically hoping I learn things from other people, and I try to help others with what I go through. Check out the my projects section, My VM thread has 9 pages, and 12,004 hits. Every thing I went through, good and bad is on there, hope it helps someone.
I view these people as my friends, I enjoy talking with them and hope something I say might help them. BTW, I found all you posts on ovens interesting LOL

Go ahead, your turn fire away, call me an idiot, see I'm just sittin back having fun, and again BTW, if the Gods at Yami, never have problems, perhaps you can explain 1982
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Ok new day, lets just for a moment, get past the pissing match, and see if we can find some answers.

My contention on this is, the oil pump mixes fuel/oil at a varying ratio. I do not know the exact ratio, but other OEMS claim something like 100-1 at idle/ low speed, up to 40-1 at WOT, so for the sake of conversation, lets just roll with those numbers.
Now, if I'm understanding you correctly, your take on this is, the ratio remains constant, lets call it 40-1 and the pump and control cable simply alter the oil volume to keep it at 40-1 as fuel flow increases with rpm. It stays at 40-1 from idle to WOT. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Here, http://www.davidsleds.mysite.com/PAGE_17230.html is something I found on Davids page
It won't allow me to C and P the entire paragraph, here is the point of question to me

"> exhaust smoke is markedly reduced, and carbon build up and plug fouling are brought down to negligible level"

You often say you explained things to me, so I'm asking your opinion on this. If this is true how does it happen if they do not bring the ratio down from say 40-1 to something much less? I've thought about reduced head and crown temp at a lower piston speed, and I considered the loss of velocity at lower speeds. To me, both of those things would contribute to more carbon build up and possible plug fouling at lower, part throttle operation unless the ratio of oil used in those conditions was reduced.

No arguing, no fighting, just looking to hear what you think
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Super Stock

Post by Super Stock »

Bob/opsled
I normaly do not post on any site but I have to this time. I have been working and racing snowmobiles for over 30 years and have to say opsled is right on what he says about the oil system. Just because some one can not understand it or make it work doesn't mean it is wrong. PJ carbs air box and oil system all work great in the hands of a good tuner.
Super Stock