83' Vmax Carburetors / Filters or Airbox??

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
kawasaki

83' Vmax Carburetors / Filters or Airbox??

Post by kawasaki »

O.K. guys... not too familiar with the stock Mikuni carburetors on the Vmax. Can I run K & N Filters with these carbs, or do I need to stick with the airbox for correct vaccum? It looks like main fuel metering system might have a econojet/powerjet system where their needs to be an airbox for vacuum. I'd will be running my 83' Vmax in radar runs, so I'd like to pull the airbox. I plan on changing main jets (richer) with the K & N's, but not sure about the vacuum issue. Thanks!
Vmax540

Re: 83' Vmax Carburetors / Filters or Airbox??

Post by Vmax540 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

use air box. jetting huge factor on these sleds. carbs were tuned for airbox. especially in very cold weather conditions. 3:16x (yammie tony)
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Based on your statement of not knowing much about these carbs, I would agree with Tony, stay with the stock setup until your comfortable making changes
I wanted a VM since they came out, took me awhile to finally get one, definitely one of my favorite sleds today. Something, maybe everything about that sled has made it stand out in my mind since the early 80's and I always have kept up on them even before I had mine.
VM's have a mixed bag of opinions on them, most regarding reliability, much of this IMO is on how well their owners understood them.
82 was a very bad year for Yamaha, we all know the story on the 500 cc engines, it was also relatively early in what became the norm for performance sleds as far as fuel systems. For most of the 80-90's performance sleds mostly used the same set up, round slide, non PJ carbs, single pump, and oil plumbed directly into the ports. IMO Yami was a bit gun shy after 82, and over engineered what should be a simple set up on these engines.

Theres something to be said for all this if you want a restored, OEM VM, personally I ride mine, usually pretty hard, hate having problems, and want things easy to work on.

I know some people disagree, but here's what I did, and why.
I switched to non PJ 38's, two reasons. 1, I simply don't see a need for the extra fuel circuit and apparently neither did anyone else, never really saw much use of PJ's on performance sleds elsewhere. 2, What I really don't like is, looking inside the bowl, the main sticks straight up, compared to std where the main goes down and sits inside the brass plug which forms a reservoir of fuel for it to draw from. Sticking up it is easy for the jet to draw air if the fuel is sloshing around in the bowl.

The oil inj. system drawbacks can be seen just looking at it. As said in the Dynotech article Chuck posted above, it adds fuel to the line before it goes into the bowl. If your cruising slow, part throttle on the trail, then pin it, you have the entire content of the bowl which is now lean on oil to burn through, before the oil rich mixture since you squeezed the trigger gets to the engine. By this time you have probably backed off the throttle. Now your chugging along slowly with extremely rich oil mix. I premix 40-1

I think personally that the things listed above very possibly account for many of the failures VM owners have experienced over the years.

The other thing I changed is the fuel pumps. I ran a single 1/4 line from the tank, and a single fuel pump. Over the years I have fed many 150 HP or more engines with one pump without problems. I did it to get rid off all the crap under the hood. Some people talk about not having the shut offs and flooding problems. All I can say is, never had the problem on this sled or any of my others, all of which use the same set up.

As far as jetting, knowledge is the only thing between you and buying pistons. Read Aaens carb book or Geo Boswell's, understand what each different circuit does and how it plays into the whole picture. If your drag racing only, you can get a idea from plugs and piston wash, but that method is as old as the sled. Good EGT and knowing how to use that will save you money and win you races.
If you trail ride also, plug color is pretty meaningless. Its simply a picture of everything that happened, it won't pin point areas of concern. I have burnt down more engines with part throttle/ needle problems then WOT issues.
You don't see many race sleds with air boxes unless its rules required, the carb can be jetted either way, but again don't just jump in over your head. When you understand what the engine wants these engines are as reliable as any out there
opsled

Post by opsled »

Dynotech is full of shit in regards to their incorrect theory on the Yamaha oil injection system. They must not understand how one works. The so called "flawed" system in a myth conjured by shallow thinking "experts" and believed by the rest.

Yamaha used the same injection method on all but the low hp fan cooled sleds until they quit building a two stroke snowmobile. Never was a problem for Yamaha because there was no problem with the system. In fact it is a better system than the other methods out there.

Nothing wrong with a PJ carb either. You just need to understand the animal. Most can't/won't take the time to learn them and then blame them for problems.

Whatever,

opsled
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well Phil, your going to have to enlighten me :lol:
As always I'm open to discussion.
As for Dyno tech, are they always right, I'm sure not, But I did subscribe since issue 1 and still subscribe today. I doubt that there is anyone that has more dyno and engine time on that larger of an assortment of sleds. What I like about that is, they see everything , not just one brand or system and that goes back to the 80's. I'd say thats a pretty broad spectrum of knowledge. I'm not trying to be hard on Yamaha or their engineers. My kid works in engineering at Briggs. Our business was called into Briggs Motorsports back in the 90's to work at times with their engineers, not that they weren't smart people, but factory engineers main job centers on production and cost not performance.

As for PJ carbs, had quite afew going back many years, also well versed in Dial a jet and dual dial a jet systems which I liked better because it drew fuel off the bottom, still bottom line A/F or EGT graphs never showed me a need for them. Will say I only used 38 mm carb and down, maybe on something really big, its needed.

As said open for discussion, my mind is never totally made up.

BTW, going to the show in Eagle next weekend?

you two guys are two of the best on the yammie boards because you both know your shit. pretty hard to debate your finding. tell ya though quick i did updated porting to my 1983, use cut head i believe phil sent me, still running oil injection with 100:1 premix back up (YA THINK CRAZY) sleds a rocket. loves it. no fouling plugs or lean burndowns. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Thanks Tony, I'm ok with Phil, he just doesn't like it when I pick on Yami engineers. LOL I'll save the water temp gauge issue for some other time.
I think this sled, like most others is just fine OEM for most people. How you ride and how you take care of it mean alot. Personally I think what type of oil you use is as important as how much.
The original question had to do with racing it, thus the answers I gave.
I get everything that doesn't have to be there, out. Not really for weight saving, altho it does help, but mostly so it easy to work on, nothing in the way and if I need the engine out, I want it out in 15 min or less, no extra crap to deal with.
I also want things easy to trouble shoot if I see problems, example, I see no need for twin fuel systems. If the oil is in with the gas, I never think about injection stuff. I brought up the PJ carb/ jet thing because if hes drag racing, making decent power, and the thing is set up to lift the skis, could he un-cover a jet? I wouldn't chance it. I don't think it would blow up the engine, but given time, might it cause some ring/wall damage? Maybe flake a little piston? On a non PJ carb the brass plug forms a well to hold gas around the jet, Problem solved.
I understand. most people just want to ride their sled, then just leave it stock. I raced since I was a teenager, my kids have raced all their lives, the simpler you can make things, the easier it is to deal with. Hope it helps this guy out
opsled

Post by opsled »

You can pick on whoever you want Bob and I won't care. I commented because your statements on Yamaha oil injection are just not true. Dynotech was wrong when it came up with it's chicken little theory way back then and many think the sky has been falling ever since. I'm not going into it all again as I have been over this many times and in many places (including here) but if you want to know my reason on the subject google "opsled oil injection" and you will find many hits where I've written on this. People who understand how oil injection works agree with me, those who don't understand don't. Doesn't really matter to me what people do on their own stuff but it does bug me when they are telling others who are trying to educate themselves inaccurate information. That ain't right.

As far as PJ carbs go they are of sound design and work extremely well in the right application if serviced properly. They are more of a trail carb but are even very handy in certain race applications. They are simple and not hard to work on if a person understands them. In fact many racers install aftermarket PJ systems on their carbs because of the wider range of tuning they provide. Not for everyone or every application but a great option for many.

Tony, adding a 100:1 in your fuel tank is a good idea. The increase in porting and head on your 83 I'm sure has it using more fuel across the board than one with stock cylinders and head. The factory oil pump calibration and adjustment was set to mix at factory fuel use rate so you could be a little lean on oil with the mods done. You could achieve the same thing by lengthening the adjuster on the oil pump cable which would increase the oil flow across the board but how much would be a guess as there are no charts comparing cable length to oil rate increase.

opsled
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Mournin Phil, I did read through many of the comments on the search, same stuff you and I have debated before. I do not deny the possibility of things being as you say exist, I just can't find any thing else to back it up
Since our first go around on this, I did alot of looking, only thing direct from Yami was an early add referring to it as " Variable oi inj." I agree proves nothing, could go either way. I did find numerous things from other OEM's stating theirs was, like the guy who posted about Rotax system, 100-1 at idle going to 40-1 (or whatever) at WOT. Again really proves nothing for Yamaha.
Your comments here on Dynotech and in the other posts, in the search, you expand that to include "Dynotech. PSI, Tim Bender and others" as all being wrong in their thinking. To me those are some pretty creditably people in our performance industry. Since our first debate on this, I have continued to ask whoever I thought might have some insight on it. So far I have found nothing to back up your version. I'll be the first to say that doesn't mean you not right, but just as we left this last time, all I'm looking for is something to back it up. If Yami invented, (I really don't know) oil injection, surly there must be SAE papers on it. Show me something.

I agree on PJ carbs, as said earlier, I have use Dial A Jet systems including dual set ups. Personally I seem to be able to find what I need with the Main governing the WOT and needle and tube taking care of the rest, others may need more. Aftermarket setups I have had have drawn fuel off the bottom of the brass plug, which solves the problem ( at least, to me) of the inverted jet. To each their own.
opsled

Post by opsled »

Snowgoer on oil injection and Yamaha's introduction of it to sleds.

http://www.snowgoer.com/snowmobile-tech ... tion/0917/

Yes, oil injection on a two stroke has a variable rate. It must in order to work with the fuel supply which is also a variable rate system. Fuel used at idle with no load is minimal on any engine. Fuel used at WOT under full load could easily be 100 (or more) times greater. The oil injection system must keep up with the fuel system and deliver the right amount of oil to match the fuel being used. So with the engine at idle and fuel passing through a line to the carb at a slow rate a 100:1 injection ratio could be enough to keep that fuel at a consistent (let's say) 40:1 ratio in the carbs. At WOT full load when the carbs are dumping fuel at an extremely fast rate the pump may need to change to a 25:1 rate to keep up. All oil pumps are capable of this varying but are calibrated to the engine it's being used on. The same oil pump is used on many different engines with different requirements so the calibration will be different on each one. This is where the different ratio numbers come from. Look at the pump off a 250 Bravo and compare it with an SRV 540. Same basic pump. The pump on the SRV will need to produce twice the amount of oil that the one on the Bravo does and at different rates. They are both capable of the same output but are calibrated differently. Is only stands to reason.

When premixing none of this matters but when injecting and mixing on the fly compensations (variables) need to be in play. If the oil injection system was not variable it could NOT provide a consistent mixture rate.

Find any one of these gurus who have knocked the Yamaha oil injection system and have them tell me I'm wrong. They won't and most are no longer in the biz. Look anywhere you can to find the info needed prove me wrong. It won't happen. Find it or repute it with logic and I will bow.

Bender, PSI, Dynotech and others are all big names but compare them to the ones who invented, designed, built, used, sold and warranted their products using this system..... Yamaha.....

There is no comparison. None.

I don't make these comments because I'm a Yamaha kiss ass or because I have anything against any of the nay sayer's . I make them because it's the truth. That's what I'm into.

opsled
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Good read, nice job of explaining the working of the oil pump.
The part I will question is, where it talks about the piston working off Throttle position to govern oil supply. I would have to assume this could be designed, or adjusted to, supply oil in any varying ratio the designer wished. What that is, or if it changes is not stated

Last time we talked on this, I spent some time going through various old adds on Davids site, some OEMS did state that there overall ratio varied from something like 100-1 down to 40=1 at WOT so I assumed they all have different designs

I fully admit, 1, I have never had an oil injection issue personally, or really anyone I know. Never an issue for me, But 2, I remove the system from almost all of my sleds for different reasons.

So here's a question on something I personally see. I have 2 sleds that still have oil injection. One is a 81 SkiDoo Citation with a 377. The other '87 Yamaha Inviter with 300 single. Neither a performance sled in any way, keep them, up north as trail riders
My comparison here is a '79 Enticer 250, completely stock except for OEM carb swapped for a 34 round slide and injection removed. Power wise, all 3 pretty much the same. All my sleds use Dominator. Everything that I premix, is at 40-1
If those ratios don't change, and always mix at say 40-1 I can't explain why either the Citation or the Inviter use much less oil then the Enticer which is premixed. This is all trail, mostly slow and very little WOT. I admit, I have no exact numbers, but in several trips out. say I use a qt on the Enticer as pre mix, never are the tanks on the injected sleds down one quart
opsled

Post by opsled »

Don't know Bob. The sled you messed with uses more oil than the ones you didn't mess with. ??? Yet they all run fine...

Sounds like the stock setup is the way to go..

opsled

PS, if you don't have answers to your own questions why are you qualified to tell others what to do with there's.

This oil injection myth you and others keep wanting to tout is BS. No one has proof to it's validity yet they want to state it as fact.

I've had enough and won't deal with it anymore. The Yamaha system has no flaws. Prove otherwise or be silent.

opsled
Last edited by opsled on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

I must say if you have an oil injection setup that works over a long time for your particular riding style with out plug fouling or lean oil issues then it's all good. Wish I had a nickel for every time I bought a Vmax or worked on one that the owner deleted the oil injection because of so called oil pump failure and after hooking the pump back up every thing was good. I personally have never ever seen an actual pump failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

chuck me either. seen alot of oil injection from than to now. no issues ever. 3:16 (yammie tony)