Testing for Gearbox/Water Pump leaks???

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
markxx800

Testing for Gearbox/Water Pump leaks???

Post by markxx800 »

Anyone have a good idea for Testing for Gearbox/Water Pump leaks on a 81 SRX or 540 Vmax motor? Anyway to put 1 to 2 lbs of Air Presuure in the box and see if it leaks down?

Mark
vmax-540

Re: Testing for Gearbox/Water Pump leaks???

Post by vmax-540 »

Mark.. This is one of the way's I check them, it may not be the best but I think it is a very simple way. If the engine runs let it cool down and if you have pressure at the radiator cap then you probably have a good none leaking seal. if it leaks by the seal the pressure will just escape out the gear case some where. You can also remove the cap and use a automotive radiator tester and pump it up to about 8-10 lbs, if the pressure drops after about a minute or so then you have a leak some where, look and listen and you can usually find it especially on the 84-up as they have two drain holes in the bottom of the gear case for the anti freeze to escape and not dump into the gear case. Hope this helps you out..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Vmax540

Re: Testing for Gearbox/Water Pump leaks???

Post by Vmax540 »

vmax-540 wrote:Mark.. the 84-up as they have two drain holes in the bottom of the gear case for the anti freeze to escape and not dump into the gear case.
Did not know that !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson