Engine sucks up gearcase oil

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
northerngn

Engine sucks up gearcase oil

Post by northerngn »

If I fill my gearcase with oil the sled will smoke like crazy obviously sucking it in...
Once the smoking is done and its empty,if I let it run and pull the indicator out the engine rpms increase as its noticable sucking air in
Whats the fix for this?
Just the crank seal behind the stator of do I have to dig deeper?
Thanks in advance...
-Dan
Vmax540

Re: Engine sucks up gearcase oil

Post by Vmax540 »

Dan, I'd say both the waterpump seal and Stator side C.C. seal are in need of replacing. Sounds like a time for a complete engine seal kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

UGH...and it runs so good.
Funny none of my other yamahas seems to lube the oil pump gear
I have been riding it like this for a while, just finally noticed...how big of a problem is this honestly
-Dan
opsled

Post by opsled »

northerngn wrote:UGH...and it runs so good.
Funny none of my other yamahas seems to lube the oil pump gear
I have been riding it like this for a while, just finally noticed...how big of a problem is this honestly
-Dan
If not fixed the PTO cylinder will go boom unless the gearcase locks up first. As said it is all probably due to a faulty water pump seal. If it's leaking you are also ingesting antifreeze into that cylinder. Antifreeze is a killer to hard part internals on any engine. You could destroy the whole crank by running it.

opsled
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

OK I get that but still confused...no coolant consumption...I have been watching coolant level since I bought the sled...hmm
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Does this appear to have all the gasks/seals I need?

https://www.denniskirk.com/winderosa/2- ... /26470.sku
killerklown

Post by killerklown »

I never cared for the winderosa stuff...
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah that looks like it has everything except the water pump shaft seal. x2 for not liking winderosa, especially those head gasket/orings. i will only rebuilt my motor with oem, when it comes time

btw im not sure you NEED the waterpump shaft seal since you not noticing a loss of antifreeze, but it is a very good idea since you already have it apart. they seem to be the biggest failure now a days
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Oem still avail?

Does anyone maybe have a list of the part numbers I need?

I guess I'll finish the ss440 engine so I at least have something to ride...

Then pull the vmax....I swear I work on the max more than i ride it... :cry:
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempart ... drive-gear

Which seal can I get to fix this problem

I'll go through the whole thing later...I want to ride while we still have snow...
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i believe they part you NEED is #22 (part number 93103-35139-00) on the CRANKSHAFT diagram. it doesn't look like that website has them, possibly they are not available in oem... you can usually find them on ebay or from the forum.

I dont personally have a problem with aftermarket lower end gaskets. But i have had problems with base gaskets, and the orings/ rubber funny shaped gaskets on top of the cylinders. I will only use OEM for these.
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com