intermittent no spark (long story)

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
opsled

Re: intermittent no spark (long story)

Post by opsled »

Dan if ya get to needing parts I've got 8U9, 80N and 83H systems here that are known good.

For the rest,,, (who don't know) here's the deal with changes,,

83-84 (8U9) are the same. Everything.. Harness and all electricals.

85 and up (80N) had TORS and extra lighting coil for bar warmers and TORS so the harness is different to accomidate and stator has an extra wire. CDI is the same as 83-84 and stator will also work in 83-84. You just have the extra power wire in out of the stator (yellow/black stripe).

87 and up (83H) had a different charge coil for ignition, a different CDI and flywheel. Supposedly the timing curve is much better than the 8U9/80N system. The harness and all other components are the same as 80N (85-86). The 83H flywheel will run them all. The CDI and stator are plug and play with all years but also has the extra wire for bar warmers like the 80N setup. 80N setup will run 87's and up but do it at 85-86 specs.

opsled
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Ok pulled the stator today and verified brown wire is reading to ground
I gently heated and chipped away at the orange goop and moved the wire away from the mounting post
Now brown wire no longer reads ground neither does the red wire or the white/red wire
Verified all connections still in spec(so I didn't mess anything up)
Going to reinstall and make sure black wire with white stripe is ground free and give the old girl a pull...
-Dan
northerngn

IT'S ALIVE!

Post by northerngn »

Didn't do anything after the stator repair,so just for shits and giggles I plug in the other used cdi box.
I just happen to hook the ground wire up last and it snapped a little spark!!!! GOOD SIGN!!!
Gave it a pull and it ran, I turned it off with the key.
Turned key back on and then started it and then killed it with the stop start switch.
Life is good, now I'll just rewrap my wire harness and then try my buddies 84 cdi box.

That way if it runs on the 84 I'll know that if this crap happens ever again I will know if I truly can or cannot the the box for testing.

Thanks to all you guys out there helping along the way and I hope this thread can help someone else alone the way.

I'm guessing when the brown wire shorted against the stator mount that it took out the cdi

Oh well at least I know the harness is in better shape now than when I bought it

-Dan
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Yes it starts and idles on an 84 box as well!
:D
-Dan
opsled

Post by opsled »

Good Work Dan!!

opsled
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

I have to give credit to my lovley wife.
She was the one who had the idea and completed the task of unplugging the wires from the cdi box 1 at a time to see if the ground circuit would drop off. :)

-Dan
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Dan, Good job ! Thanks to all who helped ! Here is the 86 diagram I promised the difference from the pre-1985 is the T.O.R.S.
Attachments
viewer.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

awesome! glad to see you finally won!

so your problem was that the source coil was shorted out against the stator frame? therefore your cdi was not charging, and therefore when the pickup (pulse, trigger) coil told the CDI to fire it couldnt because it had no charge?

i gotta bank the fix in my brain so i can help others when they come around hahaha
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

tyler440 wrote:awesome! glad to see you finally won!

so your problem was that the source coil was shorted out against the stator frame? therefore your cdi was not charging, and therefore when the pickup (pulse, trigger) coil told the CDI to fire it couldnt because it had no charge?

i gotta bank the fix in my brain so i can help others when they come around hahaha
In a nutshell, YES
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Dammmm........ and I was just about to offer you fifty bucks......

:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

LOL