102 C clutch help

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Donnie

102 C clutch help

Post by Donnie »

I am in a posting mood, so I am trying to get all my messages out today.

Since I was working on my brother's '86 with the carb issue, I decided I would check for wear in the original Comet 102. I am glad I did, otherwise there could have been a real mess, and there still might be.

One of the A3 weights had a large amount of wear right in the center. All of the fiber inserts were worn and the rollers in the spider are all shot.

At the moment, I can't even get the clutch off because I don't have a Yamaha puller, but I am working on that.

Once I do have it off, how do I pull the spider off to replace the worn pieces???

I have a 108C laying around with good rollers. Can I swap the spiders???

The sliding sheeve bushing is also worn? How hard is that to replace?

I know how important it is to keep the 102 on the Vmax. I don't want to just remove it and try to tune a 108. That's a mess.

Thanks.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Donnie, I have the holder and grunt tool for seperating the comet stop in someday or send me the clutch with new parts and I'll do it for you ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Maybe once summer gets here and I get a few free days I will just make a trip up to see you and bring the sled(s) for your viewing pleasure and we can do some work on them together. Two heads are better than one I think.

The reason I say that is that I can't get the clutch off yet. I bet you have the puller sitting around for a factory 102.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Donnie wrote:Maybe once summer gets here and I get a few free days I will just make a trip up to see you and bring the sled(s) for your viewing pleasure and we can do some work on them together. Two heads are better than one I think.

The reason I say that is that I can't get the clutch off yet. I bet you have the puller sitting around for a factory 102.
Donnie
I sure do have the puller ! Just let me know !
srxvmax50

108's

Post by srxvmax50 »

Donnie, your 102 sounds like it's shot, but maybe not. Anyway a 108 overdrive is not a bad way to go. The Comet all aluminum 108 EXP is a very good clutch for your horsepower. This clutch has wider load bearing surfaces and longer life than the 102, and still interchanges weights and springs. Don't let the overdrive component bother you. The 108 will still shift out fine just like a fresh 102 did, and you don't need a special Yamaha puller. All clutches require regular maintainence & we need to remember that and check it out often. The torgue-sensing infinate ratio automatic transmission is one helloff a way to go for light-weight snowmobiling, and besides I'm not ready yet for manual shifting. So enough of this. What was my point anyway?, I forgot. Write back. MJD.
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

I had a 108 on my '83 Vmax and even with the original spring and the A-3 arms, the performance was CRAP. The engagement was too low, so I messed with other springs, still never right. I ended up buying a new 102 on eBay with a different bore depth which required that the motor be moved over, but it was worth it. Correct engagement, correct shifting. Never better. Now my brothers 102 is experiencing the effects of bad maintenance from a previous owner. The rollers in the spider arm worn badly. I think I caught it before the spider got chewed up. Just in case, I needed to know if the 108 and 102 spiders were the same. If so, I will pull the 108 spider and put it int he 102.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
srxvmax50

clutch ques.

Post by srxvmax50 »

Donnie, read your latest post this morning. About the 108's and 102's: Comets first 108 was really just a 102 with larger diameter "discs". I believe it's parts, the weights, rollers, spider were interchangeable. Next from Comet came the 108EXP. It's this clutch that was built using heavier duty parts like rollers, spider, etc. The EXP was built to handle more horsepower load., yet you could still interchange the flyweights. The EXP is the clutch that I referred to in my earlier post, and it is with this clutch that I have had the best luck as far as calibration and long life is concerned. This is what I have experienced. G-L, MJD.
Donnie

Re: 102 C clutch help

Post by Donnie »

Wow, I can't believe that I am posting a reply to a message that I started over 4 years ago. The sad part it, that means I haven't done any work on my Vmax's in 4 years.

So I am back at it. I have my '83 running and ready for snow. The '86 still needs the spider repaired. So a few questions to get the ball rolling.

When removing the spider, is it threaded normally for "Lefty loosey and Righty tighty" ??? I don't want to start cranking on the thing and find that I am working with reverse threads.

What is better? Buying a new spider already assembled or repairing an existing one, assuming of course the aluminum isn't messed up?

And it's nice to be back. I wasn't even sure my password would work anymore.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
Vmax540

Re: 102 C clutch help

Post by Vmax540 »

Wow.... Welcome back Donnie ! Yes, it is the standard rt. hand thread. Even with a 3' grunt bar I find it sometimes necessary to heat the shaft just enough to boil or soften the old O.E.M . lock tight and hit the bar with a small sledge enough to jar the set of the threads. Good luck, Chuck

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2223