1981 SRX

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
xxxbuck19xxx

1981 SRX

Post by xxxbuck19xxx »

Hi, I just got into vintage sledding and was wondering................I bought a 1981 SRX 440 and am finding that the water/oil pump seal is gone and is quite common. The thing that isn't quite common is finding a replacement seal. I also heard or read somewhere that I have to press this thing off of the cases. Is there a service manual available for this unit? What ways have people gone to get a water pump seal from something else to work. We SRX owners aren't left in the dust of no aftermarket parts are we? I've got a fresh set of OEM pistons but I am not going to put them in until I have this issue resolved. What else do I need to know other than everything?
opsled

Re: 1981 SRX

Post by opsled »

Common problem. Engine has to come out to fix. Entire mag/gear housing must come off and be dissassembled to check for other damage. Antifreeze in the gearcase takes out the gears and their bearings quickly. Rust can destroy all the parts in there and the case. The mag end crank seal can also get wrecked by the antifreeze/water in the gearcase. That in turn can wreck crank bearings and cylinder on the mag side. If caught quick things can be fixed without to much problem but I have seen engines that will not turn over anymore because of a rusted gearcase and others with the mag side cylinder toasted because of the same. Most of the crank/gearcase bearings, seals and others are not available anymore.

Most will update the case/waterpump to the later Vmax style. They had less issues. Finding good parts is hard. I have a good gearcase off an 86 Vmax with a good water pump and a complete set of OEM crank seals for an 81 including the gearcase seals.

It's not a job for a novice and having the service manual is almost a must.

Where are you at??

Phil (opsled)
INLINE4

Post by INLINE4 »

WHAT HE SAID...!!!! I know it sucks...Look at me project pics and you will see what happens to the crank..Think it thru and take your time..
xxxbuck19xxx

Post by xxxbuck19xxx »

I'm in Saskatchewan Canada, and i'm a intermediate wrencher
How much for the gearcase and crank seals as i'm opening it all up.
I'm not in a rush as I found another good engine to use in the meantime
opsled

Post by opsled »

Here are some pics. 81K (1986) case. Waterpump, seals, bearings, etc are all GOOD. It currently has a 540 bearing and seal for the crank in it (both are good). Will come with a dipstick and oil pump gasket. Will need the gasket between it and the engine (still available).

This will bolt onto an 81 440 but will need the right seal and bearing for the crank. I have them new and they are pictured. The 440 crank is smaller in diameter than the 540 so the seals /bearings are different. Also in the pics is a new mag and PTO seal for the crank on a 440. The 440 crank drive gear will turn this assembly. Everything needed to install this on the 440 is here except the one gasket.

I'll sell what you see in the pics for $150 + shipping. The mag end seals are not available anymore and this is the last set I have. If you need an oil pump I should have that too. I also have a new set of crank seals for a 540 if this was going to be used on one.

I also have the 81 SRX service manual and the 540 G/H manual. They charge me about $25-$30 to copy them in town. The copies are comb bound with laminated plastic covers and have the original color spark plug chart in them. I could get one done if needed.

Looks like cheapest shipping to Saskatchewan would be $43.65 via USPS Priority Mail International.

I do have paypal. I do have 8m6 and 8R9 ignitions and other parts for both the 440 and 540. If you want to talk with me my # is 262-716-3368.

Thanks Phil (opsled)

chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Have the same problem my engine wouldnt even turn over because the water pump seal was rusted everything inside was completely rusted.
xxxbuck19xxx

Post by xxxbuck19xxx »

I just got a second engine with a non leaky pump seal so I'm going to take apart the first engine as soon as I can get to it. I have a new baby plus both the engines I have, still have the clutches on them so am working on getting those off first
I will let you know as I get there. Hope this is ok.

TY for your responses sir