Update on '86 - got it running sort of

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
tyler440

Re: Update on '86 - got it running sort of

Post by tyler440 »

yeah i would certianly be concerned with those cracks too... i believe that come from using a crowbar as a clutch puller
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

The guy I bought the clutch from said I could return it for a refund so thats what I will do.

The search is on again for a good clutch.
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

I got the brand new clutch on and now it runs great up on the stand- I havn't ridden it yet because the seat is being recovered.

The only problem I have now is it idles way to low- almost to the point of stalling and I have to blip the throttle to keep it running.

I hate to admit it but I dont know how to adjust the idle. Can someone please tell me the correct procedure and maybe post a picture of a carb with the adjustment screws?
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Mark, from the left side of sled turn both of the throttle stop screws in C.W. the exact same amount until you have the idle speed at 1500 Rpm. Turn each in increments of 1/4 to 1/2 each. You may have to adjust when the engine is up to operating temp. Your throttle stop screws may have a knurled outside for easy hand adjust.

http://www.vintagevmax.com/1986_service.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

ok- thanks. My concern is getting them the same without knowing how they are set now. Should I start by turning the screws all the way in and then backing them out the same number of turns and if so approximatly how many turns?
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

I suppose.... that would work. the best way would be to sync the carbs using a vaccum guage hooked to the carb flanges (the little nipples with the rubber cap). With the airbox removed I use an aerasol can nozzles stuck under the slides and hanging out the back of the carbs. Looking from the side you will see if the nozzles move together or not.
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

Well I found out why it wouldnt idle- one cylinder wasnt firing at low speeds. Spark looked ok but when I pulled the spark plug wire when it was running it barely made a difference. I had a new coil so put it on but no change. I pulled the fuel lines off the carbs and pulled it over and had good fuel flow. Checked compression and both cylinders are good so at that point I was stumped.

Then I looked at the choke cable flipper handle and it looked like it wasnt releasing the plastic cable end plunger all the way down. I disconnected the flipper and pushed the plunger down and then it started and ran on both cylinders- still wouldnt idle very well but I think I just need to adjust it some more. Apparanty the choke cable is not correct but I dont know why it's killing just one cylinder.

Back to the garage tonight after work.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

The cables often hang up or do not seat properly either where they split or on top of the carb connections.
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

Got home last night and turned each idle screw in one turn, gave it one pull and she fired right up, ran on both cylinders and idled on its own. It was idling about 3 grand so I turned the screws and got it down to 1500.

I rode around my yard on what little snow we have left and it seemed to run good - just a little hesitation on acceleration. Unfortunalty my yard is too small to really get on it.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the belt to ride higher in the secondary clutch- it's about 1/2" down from the top.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s152 ... H00427.mp4
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well, thats like starting out in second gear. Could beyour belt is worn or wrong, the sec has been shimmed for a wider belt, or the center to center is off
smoknbs

Post by smoknbs »

I had a belt come a part on me one time , was at night so put the other one , and got home . Next morning looked under hood and belt was sitting low , turned out the when I blew the belt , the cord got wrapped around down inside the secondary ,and wasnt allowing it to close , had to take it apart to get all of it out .
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

I forgot to mention the belt is brand new. I will take the clutch off and see how many shims are in it.
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

I took the clutch off and I got a strong feeling it's not even the right one for my sled. The belt is brand new but it falls down in the sheaves and there is verly little gap between the sheaves like maybe one spacer. According to the service manual I'm supposed to add two spacers with a new belt and if I do that the belt will fall even farther down in.

I think this clutch is too small- it measures 11" across. Alos the helix outer hub is all chewed up and it's been dragging.

Here is a video:

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s152 ... 0442-2.mp4
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

I took the clutch apart and it is trashed- the bushing around the hub is torn up and so is the helix. It only had one spacer in it so I still dont know why the belt falls in so far.

Will any year VMAX 540 secondary fit?
VMAXMARK

Post by VMAXMARK »

I bought a used clutch on ebay for $35 that came off a VMAX with 2300 miles so I'm hoping its good.

Too bad the snow is just about all gone- oh well maybe I'll have it all done by next winter.