going all out mod sled

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
eavery

going all out mod sled

Post by eavery »

hey guys a few years back i picked up a 85 v-max that was used as a oval track sled so its had a verry hard life well the motor was suposed to be fresh .60 over but as ive found most of the time peps talk trash so i pulled it apart it's 77mm bore way over .60 over!! who ever ported it did a exellent job super smooth and shiny! the pistons were ruff so i got fresh custom made pistons ordered by a local machine shop psi pipes and 40 mm carbs the carb flanges acualy point the carbs slightly away from each other no air box just pod filters with pre filters compresion is 172 pto side and 174 mag side? i think my gage was lying but it's with in 10% should be fine im runnin 320 main jets with the needle set on super fat (the lowest notch on the needle) wich is just a bit rich ran it at the reed city drags and got 97 mph in 500' at 4.7 sec pretty good i thought for a 25 year old sled !! but didn't compare to the real modd sleds

well my thoughts are i have a extra m-10fast rear skid laying around and a 1 aggressor track i also have the exiter 2 xt front struts and a set of usi plastic drag ski's im thinking with the m-10 rear skid the weight will transfer to the track better right know i cant stab it out the hole it'll never hook up even with 144 1" ice picks if i let it get rolling to almost 10 then stab it its all traction and gone

for clutching i already have a yamaha jack shaft that fit's newer cat or ski doo secondary's and i have quite a few of them around

what am i missing? any ideas on shaveing a few more pounds? any body wana sell some 44mm carbs?

any thought or ideas welcome

pics coming soon
when in doubt throttle it out
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i have a vison on the back burner that is exactly what you just described... i have the engine minus pistons, and enough chassis that i can literly pick the year i want... hahaha the only thing stopping me from doing it is the cold hard fact that there is very little racing here in PA.... ill be watching your every move hehehehe
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Interesting..... :) For what use are you planning this bad boy ? The M10 Will rob speed and have less transfer than the old Pro-Action but, will ride way better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
eavery

Post by eavery »

so far all ive used it for is ice drags its set up for oval racing yet and they don't do much of that around here any more but the i-500 is coming up fast this motor makes unbelivable smooth power range i only have about 4000 rpm usable power the way its setup clutch engages at 5200

so the m-10 will rob traction if it wont transfer as good i have the pro action set up super soft to transfer the weight to the rear better but still no traction out of the hole
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

For staight line Ice drags I'd try to let out your front limiter + tighten front preload then loosen the rear preload. Heck with the old Pro-actions Vmax 540's and SRV's are known for their wheelie pulling.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Sounds like its pretty fast, faster than most vmax 4 mods!!!!!!!
Last edited by Justin on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eavery

Post by eavery »

well i finally got this bad lad back togather i still need to do the widening of the front end and swap ski's

we haven't had enuf snow to even think about riding for the last month here in north east mi so i had some time to start building this project! last week i got the motor all back togather and back in the sled what a hard pulling bastard but it starts first pull every time
these psi pipes are way load!! :twisted: wich im shure my neighbors hate at 2 am

i tweeked the rear suspension a little by making my own limiter strap just a bit longer to allow the front of the skid to drop further for better bite

i went to take it for a rip acrossed the field and had hardly no headlights a candle on the bumper would have ben brighter!! but i had dash lights and a bright tail light? so i started checking wires switches ect. you'll never belive what i found all the readings were right where they should be so i started cleaning grounds and such went to clean the ground on the voltage regulator and the prev owner soldered the voltage regulator wire right to the regulator case :evil: not even back to the broken wire? wtf so i went to the bone yard behind the garage looking for a yamaha voltage regulator no luck so i robbed 1 off a polar pig and now it works fine

so i finaly got to take her for a good rip and she does hook up way better than before but still not enuf to yank the ski's but she pulls extreamly hard to 100+ according to the speedo wich is off a few im shure

there is only a few runs left this year if we get the snow so im gana wait till summer to go all out on this machine
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Cool, keep us updated with some pictures !
eavery

Post by eavery »

well went take it for a ride last night and the lights worked great for about 8 miles then it went back to come and go all lights would come and go as they pleased so i turned around and sent her home as im looking for breaks in wires i find steam coming from under the motor ? buy the oil pump? it's a verry small leak but any leak is not good so back out comes the motor im thinking the water pump seal between the oil pump gear and water pump is leaking as the oil on the dip stick looks like chocolate milk

any suggestion would be great

on the lights i have alread changed voltage reg fixed all grounds and new dimmer switch the readings on the stator are right ? could coolant be getting in there screwing with my lights?
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

eaver420

Re: going all out mod sled

Post by eaver420 »

well i finally got around to working on this beast again since last year i replaced the rings and all gaskets and seals in the motor runs great now no leaks i stripped the whole sled down replaced the whole wiring harness repainted the frame under the hood blue and plan on repainting the hood and tunnel black with blue graphics still need a windshield a seat cover and to do the widening kit
eaver420

Post by eaver420 »

well i got the front end all rebuilt today i decieded to wait and do the widening this summer so i went with new struts with new yellow springs all new bushings and bolts even mounted a set of skidoo precision skis got rid of all the slop in the front end :wink: i still gotta finish painting the hood and counsole and order a windshield :(
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Sled is comming along and looking great ! Did you use the longer travel struts if so, would not the hood hit without a wide kit ? I have snostuff windshields. http://www.vintagevmax.com/uploads/inventory.htm
eaver420

Post by eaver420 »

thanks...i did not use longer struts just stock having a hard time finding the taller strut can and knuckles around here not many yammi's around.....what would it cost to have the 11.5" windshield shipped to 49746 mi