83 V-max gas and oil consumption

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
VectorBoy

83 V-max gas and oil consumption

Post by VectorBoy »

Finally had my 83 out on local clubs vintage ride this last week end and it ran great, theonly problem was the amount of gas and oil I ran thru this sled. From what I figured I got around 5 mpg and used about a quart of oil to 30 miles. Never loaded up or fouled a plug all day. Now I had my thumb in it and both the V-max and I like to go fast. What kind of mpg and oil use are you guys getting? How did they ever trail ride these things back in the day? thanks
My sleds: 2014 Yamaha Viper-1999 Yamaha V-max 500-1996 Yamaha Ovation-1992 Yamaha V-max 4-1973 Yamaha SM292, and room for more!
Bob Vehring

Re: 83 V-max gas and oil consumption

Post by Bob Vehring »

always ride with a friend with a big tank. There not good on milage but the real problem is sleds now have 10-12 gal tanks, we have 6
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Yes, I never understood what Yamaha was thinking using such small tanks on so, many of their sleds of this era ? In your case, either you're really hard on the throttle or you're sled is out of tune. 6.3gal x 5 mpg. = 31 miles and your tank is dry ! While I believe 10 to 12 mpg. would be normal I personally, while trying to be carefull on one long groomed trail ride have gotten slightly over 100 miles out of a tank and still had ~11/2" in the bottom of the tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
modsingle

Post by modsingle »

I had the same problem when I started to run my 1983 V Max. Here is what I found and have done to improve fuel consumption.

1. Stock clutch was bad, went to Comet 108 and did the mod that is under the Comet 102 to Comet 108 thread on this site (you will not believe the difference and it showed on gas milage)
2. Cut the hole in the airbox out to the raised line. Hard to explain but once you take the box apart you will understand.
3. Either modify or change your carb. slide angle to the 1985 spec. The change in slide will lean out mid range where you are at as you are cruising on the trail.
4. Tune your main jet. If you are at stock jet size with no engine mods I can assure you that it is running rich.
5. Get a red dot oil pump (use less oil). I just run the original and run cheap oil.
6. Made an additional gas tank (see photo, yes it took a lot of time and no I don't want to make another)

All of these items I have found on this site or from VMax540. Was out last night on the VMax and it is just awsome. I am now getting in the teens for gas milage. I love this site.

Kyle
Attachments
gas tankside.JPG
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Thanks Kyle ! Here is a picture of the air box panel and the line to be cut out. B.T.W. some of the old Enticers had a black tank very simular in shape to your spare tank now, if I can just find one for reference and size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson