engine swap

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
vmaxman

engine swap

Post by vmaxman »

hi new member here, just recently aquired a 1984 vmax 540 ,bad news is engine is shot , i was wondering if anybody has installed or tried to install a newer 570 or 600 twin. i know some fab work would be required , but will it work? any input on this would be great. this is my first vmax project. thanks chris
Bob Vehring

Re: engine swap

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well I always believed you could fit an elephant in a shoe box with enough work.
Look them over, look for things like where the cooling hoses line up on each. I've had several non OEM engines in some of my sleds. In the "MY Projects sec, here, VOODOO Max post, I was thinking of puting a 617 Rotax in mine and posted pic's of it in there. The draw back on that for me was it really big F 3 pipes, The engine itself fit fine
smoknbs

Post by smoknbs »

Put a 580 twin in a zrt chassis , harder than you might think , and a buddy of mine put a 521 rotax in a indy fan chassis ! anything is possible !
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

i think i read that an exciter 570 was a good swap and pretty easy to .
eavery

Post by eavery »

Yes a exciter 570 will work but there is some Modding to be done if u use a exciter 2 engine
when in doubt throttle it out
hotrodcr250

Post by hotrodcr250 »

thanks for the input looks like the 94-97 vmax 600(reed valve) made more power than exciter 570 (piston port)engine going to maybe try it will look a couple over and see what it looks like .chris
sandman

Post by sandman »

just new today excited to on a yamaha forum a little off topic engine swap as well i have an 83 vmax putting in 94 max 500 dont want to cut 83 harness i have the cdi for the 94 mtr need to know what wires i should be hookining into the two harnesses can any one help with the wiring codes or tell me what wires go together sandman
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

sandman wrote:just new today excited to on a yamaha forum a little off topic engine swap as well i have an 83 vmax putting in 94 max 500 dont want to cut 83 harness i have the cdi for the 94 mtr need to know what wires i should be hookining into the two harnesses can any one help with the wiring codes or tell me what wires go together sandman
Sand, you really need to find a complete 94-96 Vmax 5/600 wiring harness to do this in a way that would be reliable and not cobbled.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw ... m270.l1313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
killerklown

Post by killerklown »

I would also make sure you take into account the clutch offset and center-to -center, or you will have a hard time getting a belt to work.
sandman

Post by sandman »

sandman have whole harness and i got my cluthes to line up near perfect without any mods to the chassis