83 vmax 540...electric start?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Intimidator

83 vmax 540...electric start?

Post by Intimidator »

Has anyone turned their 83 into an electric start, can it be done, and would it even be worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Bob
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

nothing is ever impossible... how much cutting and welding do you wanna do? hahaha i dont think anyone has ever done it... off the top of my head the things you would need to do are.... find a clutch with a gear on it, cut the frame and build a bracket to hold the starter... mount a battery... mount a rectifier to charge the battery with dc voltage... wire in a different key switch....

it would be an interesting project but im not sure all the cutting and welding to get the starter incontact with the primary clutch would prove worth it
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
dheck88

Post by dheck88 »

how hard is yours to start these sleds were famous for being one pull sleds as long as they were tuned
if you do wind up doing it or even find a place for a starter post some pics sounds interesting
Intimidator

Post by Intimidator »

ahh, a buddy of mine has an old phazer and a vmax that are both electric start. Just wanted to shut him up ;). At least the 540 outruns the the phazer and gives the vmax a run for the money..

Thanks for the input!
backfire

Re: 83 vmax 540...electric start?

Post by backfire »

I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought I'd ask my question here anyway, since this is on-topic of what I'm asking.. :)

I have a complete 1983 Yammi 540 "G" VMax engine that I'm freshening up to install into a 2007 Yamabuggy GTX400, since the O.E. 4-stroke, one-lunger is pretty enemic on power. It's pretty much a necessity to have electric start on any engine in a buggy like this, so I'm trying to figure out how I might add this to my engine.. Are there any other similar Yammi engines factory equipped with electric start that I could transfer those parts over to my 540 VMax engine? A Phazer maybe?? :?:

pj
Joe

Re: 83 vmax 540...electric start?

Post by Joe »

I have a 540 XLV (air cooled) engine that has the ring gear on the magneto rotor.
I have no idea if they (ring gear and rotor) can be mounted on the 540 liquid cooled engine.
Is there enough room for a ring gear in that area?
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700