REPAINTING 94 VMAX 600

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
JIM BROWN

REPAINTING 94 VMAX 600

Post by JIM BROWN »

HEY GUYS..........I THOUGHT IT WAS ON THIS SITE WHERE ONE OF THE FOLKS HAD REPAINTED A 94 OR LATER VMAX. JUST WONDERIN IF I SAW IT HERE OR ON ANOTHER SITE. I KNOW HOW 2 DO THE GLASS WORK BUT AM UNSURE OF WHAT KINDA PAINT 2 USE ON THE SIDE PANELS AS THEY R FLEXIBALE. THANX 4 ANY HELP :lol:
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Jim, any good automotive paint supply can fix you up with the additive that is used in paint for flexible plastic auto bumpers.

Paint http://www.color-rite.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Jim, you can find pix of my sled in this sec. under VooDoo Max I did custom paint for a living. My sled came with 2 sets of panels, I saved the good '83 set if I want to put it back to stock. The Alum side panels I used were very rough and dented, and I had to weld up several cracks, the hood was cracked. I treated it just like anything else. I used bondo then just used air dry primers which really I never used for years on customer stuff. Today's 2 part products are really much better but I just used up what was here. After a season of hard riding, it has held up just fine.
I did used high quality paint for the color coats, this is mostly House of Kolor with a few PPG colors in the art work and HOK urethane clear. I wet sanded the clear down to 2000 grit, then left most of it flat for the flat black look, the only glossy part is where the main lettering is I'm debating right now weather I want to buff it all out , or leave it flat.
The most important step in painting is getting, and keeping it clean between steps, use both a solvent based cleaner and a water based soap.
The flex additive is not a bad idea, I do that on some of our karts because they really take a beating
JIM BROWN

Post by JIM BROWN »

THANX BOB....I SAW THE PIX OF THE VOODOO LOOKS GREAT. I THINK IM GONNA DO B4 AND AFTER PHOTOS ALSO, GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE. SURPRISED MORE PEOPLE ARENT ON IT :lol:
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

jim,
your catching it right at the end of season.... and everyone is switching gears again... back in december and jan. this place was hoppin! more so this year than any other year i think... it keeps getting bigger every year which is great
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well Tyler, I could start a new topic here on the summer project, restoring a 1964 Bluebird Wanderlodge 32 ft motorhome with a Chevy 409 engine. There should be enough people making fun of that project to keep up the traffic all summer
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

hahahaha that reminds me of on christmas vacation where cousine eddies says

"that there, clark, is an "RV" " hahaha
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
MAPEX

Post by MAPEX »

now don't go fallin in love with it Clark, b/c we're takin it with us when we leave here next month!!!

hahahahaha Great Movie
Sleds:
2007 Yamaha Apex RTX
2 - 1981 Yamaha SRX 440's