My project

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
FOXMAN

My project

Post by FOXMAN »

Here she is. I'm not having buyers remorse, but it does need more work than I thought it did when I first saw it. I didnt get a card with it. But from what I can tell from the vin, it's a 83?!? The stripes make me think otherwise. I am going to run down to the DNR station and look up the numbers. What do you guys think?
chrisrider63

yo

Post by chrisrider63 »

Looks like an 86' or an 87
FOXMAN

Post by FOXMAN »

I'm going to need stock pipes, slides for the carbs, and a primary clutch from what I can tell looking it over. My judgement might be off a bit cause I had a woodie when I picked it up. I still cant belive my wife let me buy it...
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

" I had a woodie when I picked it up. I still cant belive my wife let me buy it..."

Maybe that explains it :D

Where in Wi are you from
FOXMAN

Post by FOXMAN »

I know thats why! My first incounter with this type of sled was when my Dad bought my younger brother a 81 SRX. I was pissed cause I had an SR-V. Any who. I just got back from the DNR station and they tell me it is a 87. And I live just outside of Dundee Wi.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

looks like a pretty nice start.... ya dont see very many 87's

87 serial numbers start 83H where as the '83 starts 8U9... check here http://www.vintagevmax.com/images/sled- ... efixes.jpg

you probaby say the "83" in 83H and thought "1983" but thats not how yamaha did it.... that of course would be tooooo easy
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
FOXMAN

Post by FOXMAN »

I think I did ok on this. I paid $100 for it only... But I'm going to need so help with pictures to get her back together... I will register the vin one of these days...
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

you did great on that.... i would probably pay $400-$500 if it is all truely as good as it looks.... i have never seen an 87 in the flesh... they are not very common, not that it is rare, there just are sooooo many more 83's and 86's
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
FOXMAN

Post by FOXMAN »

Well... The project 87 might not see the light of day. I just found out that an 81 srx that I have wanted to buy for a REALLY long time is now available. I can get it for 400 bucks. It's a complete unmolested 81 with a smoked motor. I'm thinking about puting the 540 in it from the 87. Or should I fix the 440?!? Any in put on this is very much apreciated...
chrisrider63

yo

Post by chrisrider63 »

Just get a crank from a 540 and put the 440 back together, im just going to use a 540 bottom end they are all the same thing.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

There were way less 87 Vmax 540's built then there were 81 SRX's ! See the sticky on Vin#'s in the Garage section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
FOXMAN

Post by FOXMAN »

I'm still undecided on the motor swap. And I have more questions. Do I need to switch the motor plate to put in the 540? What wiring do I need to keep from the 87, or do I have to switch out the whole harness? (I assume the ignition wiring at the least is different) I would like grip warmers on the 81 if that makes a difference. Is the exhaust the same as the 440? :?: About keeping the 440. Can the 440 be made reliable by putting in the case and crank from the 540. As far as hurting the value of the sled, it isnt a factor. I waited this long to get an 81 SRX, and will not part with it once it is in my garage...
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

youll need just about everything 540 related to put a 540 in the 81... youll need

motor, duh
motor mounts
wriring
cdi
carbs
pipes
possibly the clutch, depending on what your 81 has
also i think youll need the rubber boots that go on the airbox....

youll need to swap the throttle block so that it pulls enough to open the slide carbs all the way

youll either need to add a fuel pump or else block off a pulse line on the motor since the 81 has 1 pump stock

i might be looking over something but im not sure...

long story short your going to end up stealing alot of parts from the 87 in order to make the 540 go in the 81

chrisrider63

re

Post by chrisrider63 »

Why not just put both together, and make sure the crank is good and trued. Like CHuck said the 87 is more rare then the 81 I would just keep it together and ride it or restore it.....The 81 doesnt have the pro action suspension I would just keep it together and just fix the 81 and have both machines running.
FOXMAN

Post by FOXMAN »

My wife said one or the other... lol Not really. Keeping both of them alive is an option if my son wants to take over the 87. I want to put the 81 back together. I have looked over some of the posts here about the 81 motor and think the 540 is the way to go. Yes No??? Keep in mind, resale value is not an issue. I want to be able to take the 81 out and be able to get back home with it.