oil leak? Tach cable?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Vmxhunter

oil leak? Tach cable?

Post by Vmxhunter »

I have talked to a couple of guys in my area who are into Vmax's also. They have told me that after some time. A seal goes bad where the tach cable goes into the oil pump. Thus causing oil to leak out onto the belly pan. Has anyone had this issue? And was the task to change this seal hard to do with the motor in the sled? I think that eather my oil pump cable needs to be adjusted AND/OR....That seal is bad....Because I do have oil on the inside of the belly pan.

And the sled realy goes through the oil one day of riding. I didn't even go through a full tank of gas (had about little lest than half tank of gas when i got home). And the low oil light came on (I had a 2/3d's full oil tank when I left the house that day).
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

I have had to replace mine a few times over the years . Yamaha still makes the seal because it was the same seal they used in a lot of other sleds. They aren't that bad to change with the engine in the sled,but also check and make sure that the gear doesn't have to much play in the sleeve or the new seal will not last long. The gear and sleeve will come out but it is in there pretty good. I have seem some last for years and not wear out and others last only a few miles.
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

vmxhunter.... your oil consumption doesnt seem too bad to me (based on the fact that mine is about the same) the oil light comes on plenty early on these babies.... i figure as long as i can spike the brakes and make it go out i am still good to go.... i go thru a tank of oil for about every 3 tanks for gas... give or take, ive never really got too exact on the amounts but thats what it seems like
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

tyler440 wrote:vmxhunter.... your oil consumption doesnt seem too bad to me (based on the fact that mine is about the same) the oil light comes on plenty early on these babies.... i figure as long as i can spike the brakes and make it go out i am still good to go.... i go thru a tank of oil for about every 3 tanks for gas... give or take, ive never really got too exact on the amounts but thats what it seems like
Seems a little to much oil to me. But like you said, the oil light must come on early. But, I don't remember the light coming on so much on my old SS440 I had. And that 86 SRV I have doesn't seem to go through this much oil. Unless the oil pump on the Vmax is set higher than those models.
brjr540

Post by brjr540 »

that sounds about right to me about 1/2 to 1/4 tank left in the 3rd tank of gas is when my oil light comes on but you should easily get 3 tanks of gas per tank of oil.