top speed?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
1grindking

top speed?

Post by 1grindking »

iv been tryin differnt clutches on my 85vmax to try to bring it back to life but dont really know what im shootin for whats top end on a stock sled the motor seems to run alright but i put a dif. primary clutch on woke up a little so now im thinkin secondary both off an old phazer i can only get bout 82mph down hill on long trail take off sucks but mid to top seems ok but i want more does any1 have inexpencive idea?? thanks
:?
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Your kind of going at this alittle backwards. Clutches can be tuned for different sleds. Unless you change the springs and arms for your engine requirements,, your really not getting anywhere.A Phaser makes less HP and at a different RPM then a V Max so you are not getting everything you could out of those clutches.
You say you did pick up some but that tells me that the bushings in your original clutches are probably shot and causing you to lose performance.
I think your best bet would be to rebuild or replace the clutches set up for a V Max. I do not know if anyone makes tuning parts to set the Phazer clutches up for a VM engine
1grindking

k will do

Post by 1grindking »

that does make alot of sence iv just been tinkering with it in my spare time & had the clutches layin around so thought id tryem whats top speed out of a stock vmax give or take?
chrisrider63

specs

Post by chrisrider63 »

Just get a 102 C comet clutch and put A3 weights in it with a good orange colour marked spring, the bushings on the weights wear and stick into the side of the clutch (not good) and cause it to hang up. The secondaries need to be rebuilt every year with these so if you can do that set the spring to the second notch. If your weights are wrecked you have to get new ones.
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

a good runner should get ya between 90- 100 but their are many variables a vmax will snort the loudest on the lake fully studded with a couple inches of snow and your able to get a good hookup.
chrisrider63

re

Post by chrisrider63 »

Im 6'5 300lbs and I can get the max up to about 110mph on the tack so thats around 100mph on my road, dont think im dumb enough to do that again thank God. And thats just stock.
1grindking

good answers

Post by 1grindking »

thanks for the info im not to far off but i knew shed do better i'll wrk on gettin that clutch rebuilt i love this site :D
chrisrider63

re

Post by chrisrider63 »

take the primary clutch off and take the top pull the spring out and inspect the rollers and weights, post some pics of it up here. If you have to rebuild your better off to just buy a good used 102 primary.
1grindking

will do

Post by 1grindking »

i have the clutch in the garadge but the sled is in northern wi. & i wont be up till mid march for the weene roast & i wrk the rest of this wk not that yall care but i'll do it 1st chance i get