Classic, Vintage and Antique Definitions ?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Vmax540

Classic, Vintage and Antique Definitions ?

Post by Vmax540 »

Yes, I stole this topic from T.Y. :0

Ask 10 different sources, get 10 different answers.... One has to remember we are not talking about wine or furniture in which both have been made since the beginning of time and the fact production snowmobiles in large quantities are only around ~50 years.

I.M.O. Time does not stand still so, the cut off of classes should move 1 year for every calendar year ?
Classic 15 years or older than 1995
Vintage 25 years or older than 1985
Antique anything older than 1970 ?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...le&ved=0CAcQkAE
Vintage Snowmobiles are generally defined as snowmobiles made from the late 1960s until the early 1980s. ...

Amsoil says 25 years ?
http://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLookups...lterlookup.aspx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

vmax540 You are right ,it doesn't seem that we can get a clear definition on what is what. There must be a Sanctioning Body out there some place that will have a clear answer,if there is a clear answer. Lets ask this question on other sites like VSCA and see if anyone that judges vintage meets has an answer..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

About 10 years ago. I was into classic musclecars. Took me 10 years of parts hunting. But found what I needed to finnish the restoration on my 1969 GT Torino. When I got my plates from the DMV here in WI. I oppted for the collector plates. It was a one time payment of then $125. But they were good for as long as I owned the car. And non-transferable. Great deal as long as I kept the car they would pay for themselves over a short time.

Anyways....my point is. The DMV at least here in WI classifies collector as 25 years or older. And every year that goes by, the next model year in line qualifies. The same goes for anitque plates (which of-course is older yet). Why not the same "rules" for snowmobiles?
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I think I read a post somewhere, maybe Vintage sleds.com where the state of Wi has a free or cheap reg for Antique sleds, the poster claimed in Wi. it had to be made before '65 so I guess thats their limit.
As for me, I don't go out looking for Antique sleds, vintage sleds or the newer sleds. I go out looking for sleds I like, doesn't mater what they are..
I really thought my next project would be a 9500 or 9700 Blizzard, had some and for some reason want one again. That seems to have been bumped by someone on vintage sled posting a pic of a 89 or so Yami Inviter, yup, that ugly little thing, The Grasshopper with a 300 single liquid engine. Anyone seen one laying around? Right now I have about 20 bucks I can spare :oops:
yammihammer

Post by yammihammer »

Hey Bob how many you want got a buddy that has four of em. Priced to go get now or they will be gone!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Let me know what he wants, I never have money during racing season and the problem is racing season never ends, it just changes from sleds to karts :lol: