A pat on the back for Tyler

It is a major goal for us to please our visitors, and keep them coming back. Please use this area to tell us what you like or don't like, and what you would like to see next on VintageVmax.com! Even if you see a typo, we would like to know!
opsled

A pat on the back for Tyler

Post by opsled »

Hi Tyler, I just want you to know how much I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate the time and effort you and others have put in to this website. It's a shame to see the junk mail / solicitor low lifes of the world are now messing with this site. It's bad enoungh to be bombarded with phone calls, have our mail boxes stuffed with this crap and being forced to look at it on TV. I want to thank you for you patience and diligence in dealing with it. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't mind if everyone had to be registered to post anything on this site. At least you would have the power and control needed to get rid of these leaches but that is up to you.
In short I don't think most of us know how much work you guys do so we can have a place to BS and talk shop. I think a pat on the back and an ice cold beer are long overdue for all of you at Vintage Vmax. If I were closer you would have one from me. If there is anything we can do to help keep this website as good as it is and make it more enjoyable for you let us know.
Thanks a million, Phil (opsled)
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Well said...... Thanks Phil ! Tyler wears many hats and without him to help me I'd be lost ! B.T.W. enjoy that N.O.S. 8U9 clutch.......... :) Chuck (Vmax540) or vintagevmax on Ebay !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
opsled

Post by opsled »

Hi Chuck, I know what it's like do something for someone and have it not be appreciated. It's not that rewards are always nessessary for good deeds but a showing of appreciation and a (Thank You) should be tought to be manditory. To many people take to much for granted and I am guilty of doing it myself sometimes. My grandfather had a saying that went (a man will ride a free horse to death) and I find it to be true more often than not. I will never forget it and try to give credit where credit is due because most of the time that is all most of us want.
I was wondering who I was bidding against on that clutch and I am sorry that I took it away from you in the auction. We all have had alot of clutching issues with these old Vmax's and want to work out an inexpensive cure that will work for everyone. I have not had a good enough stock clutch to use for comparison purposes to get it done. I will never use that clutch on a sled that I would ride and may resell it once I'm done with it. I have talked with my dealer who has been selling Yamaha's since the early 70's and he says that the last time it was available through Yamaha it listed at $510. He also said that clutching has always been an issue with them as most people would not pay Yamaha prices for a new one and would get the replacment 108 from Comet which everybody seems to have some sort of problems with getting to work right. His first coment when I told him I was thinking of using a 108 on my 81 mod was to ask me if I had an overdrive secondary to go with it and if I didn't that I would be wasting my time and would not be able to get it to work right. So I hope to be able to figure out a solution with some good parts to use for comparison.
Thanks, Phil (opsled)
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Phil, I have bought probably 10 Vmaxs and all but 2 had the 108 as a replacement clutch ! The stock ones I do own, have major wear especially, on the sheeves. So, what do I run...... yes, a 108 ! I tried the purple spring but, engagement at @ ~ 4900 stinks for the tight twisty trails I ride ! Myself and many others would love to find a reasonable, decent setup for a stock engine with the 108. I'm beginning to believe there isn't one unless you have maybe a Arctic Cat secondary and ? ? ? only knows whats all involved with that ? Maybe a better aproach would be a new 102 Comet with Yamaha's calibration ? Good luck and keep us posted ! P.s. if you decide to sell that clutch...........call me ! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
opsled

Post by opsled »

Hi Chuck, I know we are kind of in the wrong catagory for this disscusion but that is my goal. To find a readily available, stock looking clutch with a calibration that matches the OEM setup as close as possible. The problem with Yamaha is that they don't have weight / spring calibration charts like Polaris does that allows you to compare there parts to Comet parts that I am aware of. They give you part numbers and spring colors and tell you what conditions you are supposed to run them at but no specifications for the part. I have some help with a couple of friends who are old Yamaha guys that have been racing for years and are very good with clutching, alot of good ideas from this website and a dealer who has been in buisiness for at least 30 years and likes the old Yamies as much as the new ones. I will keep you posted.
Thanks, Phil (opsled)
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Hay vmax540 I have a 108 on my 83 vmax and I also have a Polaris secondary,, the set up that I use is a Polaris Black Green primary spring ,with stock A-3s and a 44-38 helix with a silver blue secondary spring, it engages at about 4200 and shifts out at 8200, it pulls like he--. Years ago when they first came out with the 108s I used a orange Aaen primary spring with everything else stock and it worked great, the key to the 108s is to use the Polaris springs & spring crarts as there are more to choose from and they seam to work better, don't be afraid to use a stiff spring in the 108s because they don't calibrate the same as the 102s.I am very pleased with the 108s and would not change back for anything. I have owned this sled sence 85 and with this setup it is the fastest that it has ever been.I agree that this is the place for complements and not advise so please excuse me but I thought that i maybe able to help. I also want to thanksTyler for all the hard work that he has put in this site because if it wasn't for people like him we couldn't enjoy this Great site or the people in it! Again Tyler Thank You very much!

:) :)
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
rebjr615

Post by rebjr615 »

A very big thank you from me, I don't post much as I don't have a lot to offer in terms of help on Vmax's. I will say that I read every post on here and I am learning fast. Thanks again for all your time and effort.
'78 Yamaha ET250
'82 Ski Doo Citation 3500
'87 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530
'87 Yamaha VMAX 540 (SOLD)
srxvmax50

good sounds...

Post by srxvmax50 »

Just tonight I read for the first time VVM'S website feedback. Where have I been? It looks to me like virtually every contributor here displays sincereity in how they portrey their thoughts, and themselves. Keep enguard dear contributors, for this has become our responsibility, our duty. Thankyou Tyler. MJD
MadMaxVMax

A Thank you for the Folks that put all this together for us

Post by MadMaxVMax »

Hi Chuck, I wanted to say thank you again to you & Tyler for putting this great site together..Great Job !!! (pats both of ya on the back). It was great talking to you last night. It was a joy ! It truly is a great thing..to finally find a site out here..where there's guys & gals that know their stuff about these sleds !! A-men !! I've had my '81 Srx for about 18yrs i guess..& my '83 vmax for about 9yrs & my '84vmax about 6yrs..I've not done alot with them lately because of parts availibilty & data..but NOW!!!!! i have found a place with alot of knowledge & data about these sleds & parts hanging around.....so....let the wrenches fly !!!..Thanks again Chuck & Tyler...you guys Rock !!
Roger..in the Colorado Rockies
MadMaxVmax
agfirecat

Absolutely

Post by agfirecat »

I would also like to give you guys credit for a great site with out it i would have been lost.and the the help and info you guys and every body on here gives is much apreciated . I visit this site quite often. and theres alot of good members on here thanks again. Andy