v-max video

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
brjr540

v-max video

Post by brjr540 »

Hello all. i got the 83 up and running had to do a little tweaking to the jetting to get it the way i want it.i put a thermostat in it because it was over cooling, it wouldnt even come off the pin in -10f my boy wanted me to shoot a video so i figure i will share it with you. the quality isnt the best but i will see if i can improve it later. click this link to see it keep checking back as i will be adding snowmobiling videos to it. these videos were shot in Watson,Mi about 45 miles south of Marquette in the Upper penninsula of Michigan. (aka) Gods country... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wQW3b2xzc8
Joe

Post by Joe »

I wish my 86 sounded as good as your 83.
I still have the original bores and pistons.

Listen to the engine sound at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5UGS_755A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbhv5_Byv5U

I originally published this under "snow conditions" a year ago.
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Awsome sled ! F.Y.I. You have to remember the odd thing about the stock temp guage is that it does Not register much if at all under normal operating temps but, will go up when you have an issue. =Poor O.E.M. setup. See the garage forum Tyler is working on a solution !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
brjr540

Post by brjr540 »

i agree with you on the stock temp gauge setup, the gauge didnt work that well when i discovered that the thermostat was stuck open. It appears to me when the thermostat is open it lessens the flow thru the temp gauge circut,most if not all of the coolant is directed thru the radiator and heat exchangers. when the stat is closed flow is greatly increased thru the temp sensor circut. also the path of flow has many restrictions first the banjo bolt and fitting are poorly machined.i opened the holes slightly and where the hose connects on the water pump housing is really restricted. also in my years experience in the automotive field reguarding coolant,is that "if a little is good a lot is better" the wrong mixture of coolant is dangerous. i have NEVER mixed my coolant stronger than -25f stronger than that lessens the ability of the coolant to transfer heat from parts and being in a area which sees temps colder than -25 have never seen this mixture of coolant freeze up,let alone even want to be riding in that cold of temp.

i use a 140f thermostat with the PROPER mixture of antifreeze and distilled water and even in +35f temps have not had temps reach over 160f. pardon me for a while, im going out riding.... P.S. Again guys great site, LOTS of usefull knowledge here.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Brjr, Interesting thought on the mixture ratio.... did you simply enlarge the nipples where the hose connects by drilling ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
brjr540

Post by brjr540 »

yes thats all i did. i cant remember the exact size bit i used but it was like 3or4 sizes larger than the stock size. the worst restriction i found was in the connection in the water pump housing. there was a large amount of casting slag there. there was plenty of materal there to be cleaned out. since then the stock gauge is working well. i can see where people have been having trouble with this setup especially if the coolant wasnt kept clean,mineral deposits,dirt,sludge could easily restrict or even plug this small passage. now when people gut out their t-stat the coolant follows the easier path thru the radiator and heat exchangers. instead of the bypass line with the temp sensor in it. i have a spare head i am going to experment with to see if there is any where the temp sensor could thread directly into the head while retaining the bypass line. i.m.o. if the passages connecting the bypass line were open and the hose in good condition with no kinks,obstructions it by design it works good as mine does.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

be careful trying to thread the stock gauge into the head... tho you may make it work on the bench it will not reack from the hole where it is mounted to the head once the motor is actually in the sled.... here a thought... maybe with an aftermarket gauge we could thread it into the cylinder (coolant) drain above the exhaust?... just a random thought i came up with
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

hmmm ive never seen a gauge actually move like yours does, even when we did run thermostats...
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
brjr540

Post by brjr540 »

Well everyone. this sled is going up for sale. i really dont want to but with 6 others in the garage one has to go. this machine needs nothing but a windshield. if intrested p.m. me could possibly work out a meeting place to save a drive?