my 86 out for the first time!!!

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Vmxhunter

my 86 out for the first time!!!

Post by Vmxhunter »

Well got the 86 allmost done!!! got the 81 SRX hood on after I buffed it out a little. Just need to mount the amber reflectors. And have Gary finnish those decals for my hood. Then she'll be done!!! Going to take her out this weekend, I hope. On a vintage poker run. Just hope I don't have any issues with it. Haven't had her out on a long ride yet.

[/img]

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

wow that looks damn nice good job!
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Thanks Tyler!!! Worked on her all summer.
Vmxhunter

first run cut short!!!!

Post by Vmxhunter »

Well looks like I might be done with this sled for the year!!! :evil: Had to cut the poker run short today. The sled was only running on one cylinder most of the time. Anther guy in the poker run was running a 83 vmax. And was very familliar with these motors. He looked at it. Seen the raw gas on the outside of the PTO exhaust pipe. And knew that one cylinder was dead. Tried new spark plug. Fouled that one out also. Then he thinks it's the PTO side crank seal. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!! If so....I am NOT looking forward to pulling this motor to replace that!!!!! Looks like that job is going to be a pain in the A##.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Don't give up so soon, Check compression, swap carbs from side to side and see if the problem follows. Could be a simple as a needle and seat stuck open or a bad plug wire
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

would a bad ignition coil do this also? Intermitent spark from idle to lower trail speeds? It seemed to "open" up at higher speeds when I was going accrost a lake. But top-end was still very slow (only about 60mph at full throttle).
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Well I did the compresion test this morning. The MAG side which was running good was between 120-125psi. The PTO side which was the side I am haveing the issue with is 135psi. So, now I'm thinking it's not a crank seal. Going to look at the easy stuff first. Check to see if that pipe on that side isn't plugged. And then if that's not it, tear into the carbs for a cleaning.
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Well like i said...I was going to start looking into the easy stuff first. Well, I took off the pipe that had all the gas/oil leaking on the outside of it. And low-and-behold....mouse nest!!!! ALL compacted at the outlet of the pipe where it meets the silencer!!!! Well got it all cleaned out. And blown out. And man does she run GREAT!!!!! Holy cow!!!! Fast!!!!! I might have to realy think about studding the track!!!!!

This was ALL my fault!!! I normaly plug all the pipes on all my sleds and bike with a rag, so stuff like this wouldn't happen!!!! But I didn't on this sled. Because I would start it about once a month and let it run on the jack stand. I thought that would keep things (critters) out!!! Guess not!!!
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Hows the mouse?
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

I think it's shopping for a new home!!!!! :lol:
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

awe poor mousey! :roll: hahaha it always nice when it is something simple
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com