Carberator interchange/ 1987 V MAX CARBS to a 1983 V MAX

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
mrvmax83

Post by mrvmax83 »

Help Me :shock:

Hello' Im currently restoring my 1983 V MAX. But i dont have the original carbs.I Have a set of Carbs from a 1987 V MAX,Would the carbs off the 87 work on my 83 and is there any thing i should now about the carb settings ,I did notice the 87' s carberators have a electrical connector on them ,

Sincerely Eric V 8)
38 yr old male , I Enjoy every aspect of motorsports from old bikes to old cars, snowmobiles,etc,or get togethers with new people with similar interests.(I LOVE MY V MAX)
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

The 87 carbs will work just fine , there is a slite difference in a couple of jets but that is OK as Yamaha was fine tuning the carbs each year so you are actually better off , the electric connections are for the Throttle override that was first used in 1985, just leave them unhooked and you will be OK. :) :)
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440

Post by Guest »

Thanks JEFF
YOUR A GREAT HELP,ill let you know when i get it fired up. :)
Let me know if there's anything i can do for you,,,(I STILL HAVE MANY VINTAGE V MAX PARTS FOR SALE(I MAY HAVE WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR)Give me a call if you would like(651-335-8007)ask for Eric.