86 Done after 11 Years

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
velocity

86 Done after 11 Years

Post by velocity »

Hi There,

It didn't take 11 years straight but it was an on again aoff again project. This started out as the usual "Rough Condition" V-Max. I am happy to say that I am officially done. Special thanks to this site for all of the valuable information. Special thanks to Chuck for all of the parts he gave up to help me complete this. Thanks to Garfy Wallings the decal man.

My 86 is now sitting next to my 87. It's amazing how many suttle differences there are from just one model year.

You folks will be happy to know that right after these pics were taken, I had the neigbors watching me ride a wheelie for at least 75 feet in the yard!!!

Velocity

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

It looks great, I wish mine would have been clean enough to restore like that, I also buy the beat up stuff :lol:
velocity

Post by velocity »

Bob Vehring wrote:It looks great, I wish mine would have been clean enough to restore like that, I also buy the beat up stuff :lol:
It was pretty rough, although the motor was solid. I had to replace the hood, the seat the side panels, etc.... The tunne and the skid were good. Everythig came off of the sled and I just took it nice and slow. It feels good seeing it all back together. I wrestled with changing the track as it is in original and is in fair condition. Looking at it now I wish I changed it but I will more than likely do it next year.

I love the paint on your. I love the polished tunnel. Are you going to put a different skid in it??
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Draw backs on mine were tunnel has some dents, and belly pan is really beat. Maybe some day it will get done right I really love my SRVhad it for 20 years and has 7000 miles. I always wanted a VM so this ones a driver.
I put a Pol. xtra 10 in the SRV which is an '81 so it had the really crap sus. and 116 in track. It also did not come with the angle type tunnel so was real prone to just kicking all the snow from under it and just sitting there.. It rides much nicer now, but because its higher, really has alot of ski presure, to the point your arms hurt after a couple hours in the woods hard..
I had a A/C sno pro sus that was going in but measured today its 17 wide on the shafts, tunnel is 16. I had to take a 1/4 in off each side of the xtra10, but the spring mounts on the A/C make that pretty hard to do. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I thought of just using the stock skid but shocks are shot, not sure if the make Fox shocks for it and by the time I get all that, it would be cheaper to buy another xtra 10.