83 vmax wiring

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
sagagnon

83 vmax wiring

Post by sagagnon »

hey guys I just bought a 83 vmax with a blown motor and i purchased a used 84 vmax motor when i went hook up the wiring harnes there's a black a yellow striped wire left my sled has 6 wires and the motor has 7 any ideas?? should i try to start it anyway or wait until i know exactly what the wire go's to... thanks Scott this is and excellent web site!!!!!
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

That extra wire is for the hand grip warmers ,in 84 they added an extra 30 watt coil just for the hand grip warmers. The 84 engine will work just fine , if you have hand grip warmers on the sled just run a wire from the warmers down to the extra wire and that way your warmers won't dim your headlight when you have them on. I would just unhook the existing power wire at the grips and hook them into the extra wire. I have an 83 and before I updated to the newer stater when I had the warmers on at night the head light would dim there wasn't enough power to run the light and the warmers, that is why Yamaha added the extra 30 watt coil , the 83 had 120 watts and the 84 & up had 150 watts. If you don't have warmers just leave it alone. I hope this helps.

:) :)
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
opsled

Post by opsled »

Hi Scott, I'm the guy you got the engine from. I see you found VintageVmax. There is alot of great stuff here and some very knowledgeable people you will engoy it.
Good Luck and you have my # if you need anything let me know, Phil