Primary Clutch Bolt Snapped. Now What?????

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
stv1991

Primary Clutch Bolt Snapped. Now What?????

Post by stv1991 »

Here's my issue. I was going to tighten up the front end on my V-Max with some tie rod ends and washers for the scissor links today. I took the side panel off on the clutch side only to find the primary clutch bolt loose then on further inspection, snapped off completely. There are a few threads left on the bolt. First, how am I going to get the primary off this thing? Second, how am I going to get the snapped bolt out of the crankshaft? There's no way I'm going to drive this thing with no clutch bolt. This is an otherwise nearly immaculate low mileage sled that I don't want to destroy by tossing the clutch. I need to tackle this thing and fast. It's supposed to make it to Waconia. Advice?

Robb
Marc Machine

Post by Marc Machine »

Two words: hydraulic action
I couldn't get the primary off my 83 Vmax 5 years ago. I took the main bolt out, poured some oil in the hole, wrapped teflon tape around a 2 inch bolt of the same diameter and started turning it in the hole using a ratchet wrench. After about 8 turns the primary came flying off with no problem at all. This will work unless the bolt that snapped in your sled won't allow you enough thread to attempt this. Let me know if it works for you.
jipcee

Post by jipcee »

After you get the clutch off you might get lucky with an easy out.
The clutch bolt does not bottom out when you tighten it and now that it is broken there is no pressure on the bolt and might spin out easily. Good luck...........l
Let us know how you make out.

...............jipcee
stv1991

Post by stv1991 »

I'm going to get to it this week sometime. I'll let you know how things work out.

Robb
stv1991

Post by stv1991 »

Well, the clutch is off. This was no easy project. I was at a buddies place all day working on this. First off, I must say we have been wrenching on sleds for years and my buddy is a mechanic by trade and a good one so we have a good solid knowledge base. That being said, we tried every trick that was passed on to us and more. We used the water trick, gear lube, grease, heat, pullers, I ordered the correct bolt 16mm X 1.5 120mm and we used that. Nothing worked. We let it sit with pressure on it, etc, etc.We had IR air tools with a large capacity air compressor. This thing was not budging. After 10 hours of reefing on this thing, I just cut the darn thing off. It is off and I will be bolting a new clutch on. So now the question is: is a 102C or a 108C a better combo for this setup? If I go with the 108C do I need to run a different belt than stock?

Robb
Joe

Post by Joe »

Did you try heating the shaft of the clutch with an acetylene torch?
A propane torch is not hot enough.

My 102 would not come off, so I heated it up with a large welding tip.
It was 265 degrees when it finally popped off.
stv1991

Post by stv1991 »

Yup, did that. In 20 years I have only had difficulty with two clutches. This was one of them.

102C or 108C??

Robb
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
MMrick

Post by MMrick »

stv1991, scroll down 14 read 102c........