not getting enough fuel to one cylinder?? please help

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
vmax540liq

not getting enough fuel to one cylinder?? please help

Post by vmax540liq »

ok my sled is acting up again when i start it it takes a couple pulls and acts like it has to fill one of the bowls up one it starts it idles good untill i go to take off and it more the less like cuts out?? and it like one of the cylinders isnt getting enough gas because when it starts doin that i let off the throttle and it idles again but after doin it a couple times around the yard it starts to be better and better and then doesnt do it untill i start it up again well once in a great while when im riding it will do it but its just weird and of course i cant get over 50 99% of the time and it wont go above 5800-6800rpms i have no clue but do know this is a tricky ol motor so if anyone knows wat my problem is and has some advice id really like to hear it because this sled has put me down a couple too many times this year and i want to straitin it out. thanks
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Are you sure it's a "not enough gas" problem??? You can get a major power loss from a stuck float that allows too much gas it too. I test feel the pipes to see if they are both hot. If one cylinder isn't firing, one pipe will be cold. If you have EGT gauges, that's even better.

If you aren't getting enough gas then you should be able to apply a little bit of choke to it and see if you get more speed. If you choke it and it dies out worse, then you are probably getting too much gas already.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
vmax540liq

Post by vmax540liq »

ok i do notice that everytime i run it a touch the side of each cylinder and i do notice a difference in heat one runs a bit hotter than the other but the pipes both get hot and out of the one i have latley been noticing that its spraying out somethin rite here it hooks to the silencer that could be a flooded cylinder.
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

If you are seeing something, probably oil, from the seal where the pipe goes into the silencer, then you may not be getting enough back pressure in the exhaust... which will definitely cause a power loss. Pull off the silencer and see if the sealing rings are still on the ends of the pipes. Also, make sure the pipes are seated firmly into the silencer and that all four springs are in place. You must have the silencer in place or a set of stingers on the exhaust tips to make the engine perform. Oil spary near the silencer is a sign of an exhaust leak.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
jefflanthier

Post by jefflanthier »

fuel pump
Sleds owned 1979 500cc eltigre 5000, 1981 340cc polaris cutlass, 1989 250 cc skidoo tundra, 1986 463cc skidoo formula mx, 1979 362 cc mirage(citation) 1985 543 cc vmax and a 1987 phazer
Joe

Post by Joe »

If you disconnect the silencer and watch the exhaust from each cylinder separately, you should figure out what is going on.

If one pipe is smoky and drippy, you are flooding out.

If one pipe is relatively quiet, you are not getting fuel.

Test the engine at idle, 4000 and about 6000 RPM. Sometimes the fuel flow is fine at idle but not at higher RPM (or vice versa.)

If the choke wakes up the lazy cylinder, that cylinder has a fuel shortage problem.

With the exhaust separated, you will be able to tell which cylinder needs work and a clue about what might be happening.