Ride comparision from today

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Donnie

Ride comparision from today

Post by Donnie »

My brother and I had the chance to ride the newly rebuilt sleds, my '83 Vmax and his '86 Vmax. His has Exciter carbs on it right now which were on it when we bought it. Here's what I noticed. His pulls out nice, only needs about 1/4 throttle to hold about 35 - 40 mph at about 5700 rpm. Mine didn't want to get going, seemed to be loading up at the mid range, needed 1/2 throttle to keep it going about 30 at 5300 rpm. Now I did notice that when I went full throttle on my brother's '86, his didn't pull at me as hard as my '83 did at full throttle. I know that both sleds are running 310 mains, not sure what the power valves are, nor the needle settings. I owuld like to get mine to be about the setup that his is running right now.... then again.... could this be a clutching issue once again since he has the original 102C and I am running the 108C ??? Of course, I look forward to the suggestions and comments that everyone offers.

Donnie

Keep it straight, Vmax's don't turn !!!
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
Phil Peterson (opsled)

Post by Phil Peterson (opsled) »

Hi Don, If you are going to try to duplicate his carb setup you need to compare all the parts in them which include the slide, pilot- main- power and needle jets and needles. I don't have a book on Exciter's to compare them to a Vmax but the slide, needle and needle jet may also be different. The first thing I would try is swapping clutches. If you have the pullers it should take less than 5 minutes and might tell you your carbs arn't the problem. I would also compare his seconday setup to yours that will also have an effect on rpm vs mph at moderate speeds.
Good Luck, Phil

Post by Guest »

Sounds like a carb issue to me. I have a 1995 twin piped vmax 600 and was experiencing the same kind of symptoms you described. the problem layed entierely in the needle position. the needle controls that low mid range (25-50mph) and the needle position was just too rich to have good response at the low end of the throttle. I raised the clip 1 position, therefore dropping the needle which leaned it out a bit in that mid range. Now I use 1/4 throttle or less to go 30-40mph whereas before I was at 1/3-1/2 throttle. I don't know much about the carbs on the 540's so I can't tell you how much to raise your clip, some one here must know or you can just do trial and error until you find a setting that works well for you.