SRX 440 Project

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
vmax-540

SRX 440 Project

Post by vmax-540 »

Here are some pictures of my 81 SRX 440 project. I purchased the sled last winter, I drove it a little bit last winter and it ran very strong so I knew that I had a good starting point.After I stripped all the paint off the tunnel ,hood,and side panels, I fixed the brake in the hood and straightened the front cross member on the frame ,and all the dents in the side panels.Then I painted them and had the new decals put on.I replaced all bearing in the rear suspension,and also on the drive line,the engine needed nothing but a good cleaning as it was just rebuilt and runs very good.The seat still has the original cover on it so all I did was replace the wood on the bottom.Every thing else was cleaned , repainted , and or replaced. I have been waiting 25 years to get one of these sleds that was why I bought an 83 vmax and I still have it today .I rebuilt the Vmax 6 years ago and it still is a ball to drive today. This winter I am going to try putting a Yamaha reverse cam secondary clutch on the SRX and a 108 and lower the gearing and see what happens.The Vmax has an Polaris secondary and 108XP and what a difference they made in performance. I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I had woking on this great sled. May the SRX's and Vmax's live on forever!! Since these pictures were taken I have put the ski decals and the other finishing touches on, and I will send in a pichure this winter of it next to my Vmax . ENJOY Image
SRX 540

Post by SRX 540 »

how beat were your side panels?Mine are pretty whooped and I would like to straighten them.Any thoughts or tips?
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Mine were in so so shape, didn't need a lot of work .If you are good at body work you won't have any problems ,just make sure you use a good primer that is made for aluminum. If yours are in bad shape you can take them it a good body man or , don't forget that the newer Vmax panels will work also. If they are cracked at the bolt holes have them welded up, if not they will keep cracking ,and you don't want that to happen.
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Cool story and sled ! It's neat to see the old iron brought back from the forgotten past ! Let us see more pictures ! Thanks Chuck S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson