VooDoo Max

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Bob Vehring

Re: VooDoo Max

Post by Bob Vehring »

Did some riding yesterday for the first time with the temp gauge set up and worked perfectly Spent most of the time on a lake (no snow really around here) and was nice to see when I need to spin the track and kick up some ice on the coolers.
Also first ride with the 1 in paddle Chamoplast Hacksaw track and 180 picks. Hooks up well, skis in the air on either ice or the places I did find snow blown too. Did some Radar runs 600 ft. 75 mph which I was disappointed in, but theres still alot of sorting out. Shifting out at 8000. peak HP is 8450 so need some work there. Jetting was close but could be leaner for radar runs. Would like to find some longer runs somewhere yet.Spins the track too much for a track that short
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Good to hear you're getting some seat time but, a bummer on the low snow. We have close to two feet and with several light rains the best base I have seen in a long, long time. Oh yea, and -22 degrees here this morning... :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Cold here but we've had no snow all winter, local trails were open 2 days thats it, even Northern Wi hasn't been good
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Little bit of running this weekend, nothing organized just out for fun

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

A little Grass drag update from this summer. Great Lakes Dragway, Union Grove wi has a very nice 500 ft clay starting line track. Several weeks ago we found a 94 V Max 4 with quad pipes for my kid. Yesterday was the first time out for that sled.
V Max 4
6.92 et
2.15 60 ft
79 top speed

83 V Max
6.64 et
1.82 69 ft
75 top speed

That puts the little guy at the finish line 4/10s ahead of the big one,
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob, you always seem to amaze us ! Thanks for all you do and post !
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Hope this works, a link to video of the 83 at a grass drag yesterday, took care of all teh vintage sled and this was some pretty healthy newer sleds. Chris was driving, he has the yellow shirt on, also again beat our V Max 4 altho still working on getting that one running right yet
https://www.facebook.com/regan.vehring/ ... 993084458/
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Wow, nice to see this site up and running again,Everytime I checked I got a "Virus Warnimg" page and couldn't get on.
Heres some updates on the 83 from the last couple years, Sled had been flawless for both a few races and some trail riding for the last two years. Were lucky here to have a world class grass drag track down at Great lakes dragaway, the car track known as The Grove. The 83 ran between 70 and 72 everytime I took it in 500 ft. Then Phil ( Opsled) showed up with a early V Max and went 75, out came my engine, 15-1 domes went in and a little more porting. Went down to the track 3 weeks agoon Sat mourning, hadn't started the engine because didn't finish getting it in till after midnight Fri, found a base gasket leak when first starting it, didn't have any spares because their custom cut, so that ended the day. Theres another race set for a few weeks from now but were in Pittsburgh for a kart race that weekend, so pretty much just waiting to see how the changes worked out.
One other change I made as it became clear this sled was going to races far more often then trail riding, (and I now would have to keep switching the domes to use pump gas), I took out the Pol. Xtra 10 skid I put in years ago and started with a Pol. skid out of a 400 trail indy. Doesn't have as much travel, but is 20 lbs lighter and I mounted 16 wheels in it so it doesn't use the slides any more. What I found was this, comparing my ET and 60 ft times with other sleds, IMO it should be going faster then 72. It still beats our V Max 4, (now with PSI quad pipes instead of the Reichard quads) but the 4 is going 81. With the skid out, I could see that the 1 in lugs on the track I put in, it was rubbing on the heat exchangers. I'm thinking thats holding down the MPH some. Currently looking for a short lug track I can pick and put in. With 3 more kart races all over the country,IDK if it will be out again until ice.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Had the V Max out the last two weekends on the ice, First one was a 1000 ft, ran 87.5, was spinning the track about half way. Fri night I put in a 1/2 in lug track and took out the 1 in one which had 1 1/4 in picks. the new track has about 175 1 1/4 in picks, Had 192 but had to take out some to clear heat exchanger. Sat I went to another radar run, this time 660 ft Now hooking good with the studs getting down to the ice, it ran 85.3
Still have more tunning to do, down to 330 mains on a 10 deg day, can get leaner yet and will bring rpms down a little too. Hope to get to another run this Sat
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Opsled must be better at cheatin...

:)
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Phil and Steve were there, they have there's apart, waxing the belly pan LOL, seriously theres is one of the nicest looking sleds I have seen
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Just looked, 15 more "views" to hit 60, 000, holy crap
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well, decisions time, not much in Grass drags around here any more, Were way to busy in winter with 120's for ice drags or trail, Thinking of putting wheels under it and making another asphalt sled out of it.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Wish I could post pictures here, but don't have that Photo bucket thing anymore. VooDoo Max is officially done with Ice, Snow and Grass. Rubber track is in, waiting for skis to get here. Pretty much went through everything, cleaned her up and should hit the asphalt in a few weeks.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I see I haven't update this in quite awhile if anyone is still watching. VDM has been on the asphalt for most of the summer, had a few problems like blowing the chaincase right off the sled and some carb issues but has turn some pretty good times for an old stock chassis trail sled. Turns out we have a very close pair of match race sleds. both running 7.20 in the 1/8. The key here is weight, Regan is 6'1 and 215#. Wendy is 5'4 and 125#. The VM weighs in at 470, the SRV which is really an all alum custom chassis weighs 358#, so keeping the light girl on the heavy sled and the heavy kid on the light sleds balances them out. Both sleds have 617 Perry engines on them, liquid on the VM and fan on the SRV The VM makes 118hp, the SRV 114 The SRV will turn 6.70's with Wendy on it. Its been a fun summer with one double header left to go.