ignition woes

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
1987vmax

ignition woes

Post by 1987vmax »

3 yrs ago my 89 vmax ran great and it started running on 1 cyl I didn't have time to fix it so it sat since then so this winter I got it out and it fired right up.(it didn't have a melt down) so I put an engine in it that has new jugs and is re-sealed I drove it today for 30km and now same thing as 3 yrs ago I changed out the stator and cdi box don't know if the by pass for the TORS system is giving trouble or if its a coil or that grey control box it wont even try to fire like before.when it was running it worked great
Vmax540

Re: ignition woes

Post by Vmax540 »

Since you have changed the stator and CDI and still have the same symptoms you need to look else where. I take it you bypassed the T.O.R.S. ? Any Rubbed wire can draw down the electrical output needed for the ignition, loose or dirty connections, bad grounds, kill or ignition switch.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529
-No Spark
Two different circuits. One for lights, and one to the CDI for spark. Check the CDI for a single black wire. Disconnect this and see if you have spark. If so, the problem is in your kill switches, ignition switches, connections or wiring harness somewhere. If still no spark, check your CDI, Coils, or magneto. Becareful when checking for spark by disconnecting the black wire, as there will be no way to kill the engine if it happens to start.
These have a history of the stator "imbedded" (mounted permanently) pulser coils losing contact thru thermal expansion. Sometimes engine heat makes it quit after a few minutes and I've heard of a few that due to how these particular ones became "disabled" (lost pulser ground to stator mounting plate)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
1987vmax

Re: ignition woes

Post by 1987vmax »

I think I have solved my problem it wasn't ignition at all the PTO side carb had a leaky needle and seat valve it was leaking past the red washers flooding that side even when riding so far 10km and its good