PSI Pipes.

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
rminier

PSI Pipes.

Post by rminier »

I thought I would post this just for general info...and interesting tidbits since most of us are still waiting on SNOW. I got my '83 way back in 1989. Actually got it free from a guy that owed me some money. Motor was a basket case...long story. I eventually got it running and have enjoyed it ever since. It came with the stock exhaust and said set of twin PSI Pipes. Once I had it nearly all back ready to run, I found PSI's phone # in 1 of the snowmobile mags and gave them a call. This was back in the rotary telephone day :lol: A helpful dude on the other end found me their recommendations for tuning when using those pipes. The pipes were designed to run at 8750 RPM. They suggested using A-22 weights in the clutch, ground 1 gram light. Use the yellow/green spring and bump up to 10 richer power jets. I also remember asking about the Comet drive clutch. Mine already had the 108-C, #214606A, which was the correct replacement back then. Somehow, my tiny Neanderthal brain had figured out that the 108-C had a slightly larger diameter than the original 102. He said "Oh, it will work fine". ....well, not entirely true, as many posts on here can attest, but I'm still runnin' it.
I'm just a bit fascinated with the interest for these pipes. As the post on here from Dyno Tech magazine clearly shows, the stock set up is clearly superior to the PSI's or the Aaen pipes with a stock motor. If you had someone that knows what they are doing port the cylinders to move the power peak up from 8200 to 8750, these pipes probably make quite a difference.
I have generally run the stock pipes and silencer, but I have popped the PSI's on a couple times over the years...they do sound wicked. They are definitely louder than stock but not objectionally so. I should weigh them sometime, they are so much lighter than the stock set up....that stock silencer weighs a ton.
Just rambling on here, waiting to get the vintage iron out if it ever snows....I don't want to have to drive 10 hours to the UP, only to encounter 10 million riders...think SNOW, folks!
75 Sno Jet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax, 97 Ski Doo MXZ 670.
Vmax540

Re: PSI Pipes.

Post by Vmax540 »

Thanks Rminier for the interesting read and I must add I share the same thoughts on the stock pipes and I am sure like many wish there was an alternative to the heavy stock silencer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Re: PSI Pipes.

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

i have stock pipes on my 1983 with factory updated porting. sleds a rocket. i won,t run anything else. 3:16 (yammie tony)