clutch puller

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
stinger440

clutch puller

Post by stinger440 »

Stupid question, but can anyone tell me the part number for the clutch puller I need for a comet 108 clutch.

Thanks
Whoever said "Moderation in all things" Never won anything
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

It depends on what 108 you have ,if you have the 108 that's made for the Vmax, then the original Vmax puller will work, but if it is anything else then it is hard to say what it is. Most other comets take the comet made puller I think it is 3/4 inch fine thread. The Comet puller # is 216097 That pulls all 108c's & 108 EXP up to 1995. But the first 108 that I had you had to use the original Yamaha 102c puller . :D
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Chris

Post by Chris »

All i use is a good bolt ,, and then a smaller bolt it can press on How can i tell what kind of clutch it is ? it doesnt say on it , Jus says Comet
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Here is what I can tell you. I know its a 108 on an 85 vmax and my 102c puller won't thread into it. . I need to remove it to pull the engine and then its getting replaced with a 102c. I am going to order a puller and don't want to order the wrong one. Thanks guys.
opsled

Post by opsled »

There are quite a few different pullers for 102 and 108 Comets. The one you need will depend on what year the clutch is and what it was originally built for. Comet made clutches for Yamaha, Cat and maby others along with replacment clutches of their own. OEM Comets will take different pullers than replacment Comets and they also changed pullers in some cases over the years. If you don't know what you have for a clutch I would load up the sled and head to a Yamaha or Cat dealer and let them have a look at it. They see alot of different clutches on sleds they have to work on and should have the puller you need. Cat used alot of Comets and would probably be your best bet.

The pic is of 3 different Comet pullers I have. The 2 piece on the left is for Yamaha/Comets, the center is for early generic Comets and the long one on the right is for some of the Arctic Cat/Comets. There are more.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Looks like this tank is going in the truck. I wish they would have just notched out that support member so I could pull the motor and not worry about the clutch. Oh well.

THIS V MAX WILL LIVE AGAIN...eventually!!!
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Found a stamp on my clutch. Its a 217506A which should be the 108 made for the v-max.
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Hey guys. I dug up a clutch puller for an SRV that threaded in and felt like it bottomed out like it was supposed to. Should I hit it with the impact and get this clutch off or will I hurt the end of the crank with this particular puller. Thanks
opsled

Post by opsled »

If it is a puller for Yamaha clutches don't use it. The Yamaha puller is metric thread and the aftermarket Comet is not. I just tried my Yamaha puller in a 108 EXP that came off a Vmax 540 and although it screws in it is loose. The right Comet puller for that clutch fit nice and tight on the threads. If the puller you have will screw into the SRV clutch it is the wrong one for the 108. The correct Comet puller will not thread into a stock Yamaha clutch. If you use the wrong one and wreck the threads on the clutch you could be in trouble. The puller you need is very common. It will pull all generic 102, 108 and 108EXP clutches up to 1995. Any dealer that sells Comet should be able to get you one.

Good Luck,
Phil (opsled)
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Ok now I am getting confused because I have a generic comet puller that I use on my 102s and it won't thread into the 108. I guess I am just going to have to take my clutch pn to the dealer and let them figure out what puller I need. Thanks.