Hood Crack Repair Help needed

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Donnie

Hood Crack Repair Help needed

Post by Donnie »

My '83 VMax has a crack in the hook from the hood mount holes up through the top toward the radiator inlet. What is the best way to repair this? I took it to a body shop and he didn't want to touch it. I don't mind having to repaint it this summer since there are no decals on the hood, just a pinstripe.

Thanks

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
vmax-540

Re: Hood Crack Repair Help needed

Post by vmax-540 »

Donnie what I have done is grind it back about 3" on each side of the crack on the inside and also on the outside, at the same time opening up the crack to about a 1/2" wide. When that is done I use about 2" of fiberglass mat and resin after that dries I do the same on the inside, then after that dries I put a piece about 4" long on the inside & out. That way you are sandwiching the cracked area inside fiberglass, just grind it down and with a little body fill or gel coat it should be ready for paint. I have done this on a few of these cowls and never had a problem. I have even done it on where the hinges go and it has held up very well. Hope this helps you out..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Jeff,

Do you put anything in the 1/2" crack that you cut out? I was thinking epoxy or something.

Thanks

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I've used the same basic deal on quite a few sled, no problems, some repairs have held for 20 years
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Donnie you cover the 1/2" gap with mat & resin with the 2" piece inside & out so they can stick to each other, then when they dry you put the 4" piece over the 2" piece and you have a encapsulated joint, you can even go with a 6" piece if need be and it isn't to thick.
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440