Help, won't start and Haydays...

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
newmax

Help, won't start and Haydays...

Post by newmax »

...is only a few days away. It ran just fine last February. The plugs are wet with fuel and they have spark. I topped off the tank and tried a brand new set of plugs and it still won't fire. The sled is a 83 V-Max. Are there any tips or tricks to starting these things in the warm summer months??? Maybe I just flooded it. I'm gonna let it sit for a day and then try again with a fresh set of plugs and no choke.
newmax

Re: Help, won't start and Haydays...

Post by newmax »

I did a search and got it running. It's summer and with winter jetting of course it's gonna run rich. Like a dummy I used the choke and flooded it. After doing the search I shut off the fuel lines, pulled the plugs, duct taped the throttle wide open, and pumped some air through the engine to try and dry it out. I also held a butane torch over the plug holes to burn off some excess fuel. Then I threw the plugs back in and it popped right off. I was thrilled just to see any sign of life even though it died right away. I tried pulling some more and each time got just 2-3 pops. So I turned the fuel lines back on and held it wide open and got a few more pops out of it before it would die. So I tried letting off the throttle and same thing. Finally I just held it slightly open and feathered the throttle and was able to keep it running for a few seconds and then like magic she came to life and started to growl like she normally does. I'm just glad I didn't break the recoil from pulling so much or catch the sled on fire. LOL here's the thread I found the advice in.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1976&p=7321&hilit=w ... tart#p7321
Vmax540

Re: Help, won't start and Haydays...

Post by Vmax540 »

Newmax, glad you got it running, sometimes even the pipes get flooded and require pulling them off to dry out.

Good reading here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson