New guy with a V-Max

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
stoley

New guy with a V-Max

Post by stoley »

Just picked up a nice 84 v-max. Always loved the 80s Yamaha's growing up as a kid the closest snowmobile dealer to home was a Yamaha dealer and I started out on a 72 SL292. I always loved when it needed belts or wear rods going to the dealer with my dad and drooling over the new sleds in the show room this would've been around early to mid 80s. When I was done with college and got a job first thing I bought was a phazer then many years later a SXViper which I sold in 2007 due to lack of use, kids and family. But after going to a few vintage shows I've really been wanting to get a older sled, i've mostly been looking at ether a SS440 or a SRV but I came across this nice 84 and now it's time for the fun to begin. My plan is to fix it up take it on vintage rides/shows My first question I have is it starts one pull Idles great engine sounds excellent but anything below 6000 RPMs it feels a little sluggish (above 6000 RPMs it pulls like a freight train) i'm not sure if the secondary is shifting too soon or if I have some sort of low end issue with the carbs? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by stoley on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stoley

Re: New guy with a V-Max

Post by stoley »

I tried to attach a picture but it didn't come through?
collinz

Post by collinz »

It could be the carb or clutch. Welcome to the club!
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

First thing to always do, go through everything. Go through the clutches clean and inspect for anaything worn, Same deal with the fuel system from one end to the other. Sounds like alot ofwork, but only way to besure. Fresh gas and new plugs also