Barn find Vmax

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Bigred8895

Barn find Vmax

Post by Bigred8895 »

Hey guys my name is I'm Chris and I just recently aquired my fathers 83 vmax 540 it hasnt ran in almost 20 its been sitting under a tarp and the hood is filled with nests it was originally put away because it needed a new stator and my father never got around to doing it but the bodies in good shape. I plan on restoring it soon you guys have any tips on what probably needs to be replaced to get this thing going again? I also dont know where to look for a new stator and what the price range is. Any advise is greatly appreciated
Bob Vehring

Re: Barn find Vmax

Post by Bob Vehring »

Chuck, who runs this site, and is just an all around good guy has a stash of V Max parts, I would ask him first, maybe he has one
If the clutch comes off easy that makes it easier to do if you can get the engine up out of the chassis. If the clutch is really stuck on I have cocked mine to one side enough to change the stator, but it wasn't easy
Vmax540

Re: Barn find Vmax

Post by Vmax540 »

Thanks Bob ! Chris welcome to V.V., first take the ohm readings from the site and check the stator coil readings. Yes, I do have stators ! Good luck !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson