1987 Vmax project just beginning.....

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
MSASRX

1987 Vmax project just beginning.....

Post by MSASRX »

I have two Vmax's I plan on making one decent one with - a 1987 & 1986. The 86' was widened and i'm really looking at going back to the stock ski stance, so I may be interested in doing a "trade" for possibly some necessary parts I may need in exchange for the widend 86' frame maybe??? See below pics - I hope to get to keep up with this post till the snow flies.... ( kid has tackle football practice right now-long days and never enough time!!) cause i know i'll need the help!!!
83H-000299
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Here's the 86' i will be "tearing down to make it happen..
81K-000388
86 Vmax.JPG
*Almost forgot !! - Chuck, i'll get the Vin numbers of both machines soon - OK?
MSASRX

Re: 1987 Vmax project just beginning.....

Post by MSASRX »

Had a Garage sale last weekend....now we'll be up north for the next couple weekends - sorry no new post's :(
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Cool, Keep us updated !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
MSASRX

Post by MSASRX »

Now that the Holiday weekend is over...I hope to get the Garage cleaned back out and start the tear-down very soon.
MSASRX

Post by MSASRX »

Well, after a busy late summer and fall.....working on a lot of other people's sleds in the late fall and early winter...then finally getting some riding in january~Early march....i have brought the 87' Vmax chassis back up in the "shop" part of my garage to get back at it.....sorry. ALmost done with my son's new project - 80' Enticer 340 that can't have 1000 miles on it, but has been sitting for some time (love the smell of 20+ year old gas....not!)
So.....i should be doing more of the "tear down" process begining very soon...whoops, i also have a 10,000+ mile 2007 blizzard 600SDI i have to work on for a buddy too.....
On a side note...i did get my last ride in the Gaylord,MI area when we got 18+ additional inches of snow for the first weekend of March and saw some cool old Yamaha's on the trail - a couple nice SRV's and two 1980 SS440's !!! Very Cool!!!! of course i gave the thumbs up as i passed them on my REV......very cool!!!!
saw a lot of 98' SRX's too .....oh do i miss the sound of my 700 i had....
can't wait to hit the trails on this VMAX project.

BTW - even though our winter pretty much sucked here in michigan....I still managed to get more miles in this year, than last year - I love the BOOT LAKE BAR!!!!
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Restoration or a project the time and effort it takes makes it all the sweeter when it is done and you can sit back and be proud. Keep us updated !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
MSASRX

Post by MSASRX »

Few updated Pics......I plan on a tear down to the frame so i can power wash & clean out so i can do some "touch-up" painting and will then bring the donor sled in for the tear down to install engine & everything under the hood.....It's March 15th and it feels like summer right now - frikkin crazy!!!!
Things I can see i may need....one ski....i would love to put in a "newer" yamaha track from like a mid-late nineties vmax ( you know the 3/4 lug ones that sucked on our vmax 600's & sx / srx's ??) i think that would go well for this sled, although the current track on it is in really good shape..? I will have alot of "extra's too if there's people that need stuff from me that we could "trade" - so ?????

MSASRX

Post by MSASRX »

I think i'm going to go with the 1986 graphics...i just like them better. Looks like i'll need tunnel graphics, ski graphics, and possibly one or both side panel graphics to make it happen.

Been restoring old furniture for the wifey lately.......I will get this going again soon....i promise!!!
MSASRX

Post by MSASRX »

Got the 86' out to double check condition of hood.....and other items...yup, love the 1986 graphics much,much better!!!!
Also - i looked at the clutch,thinking it should have been the stock yamaha/comet 102C....nope,been replaced by a 108C newer comet, and of course the shafts have a bunch of surface rust on them.....now i have to wonder what the crankshaft looks like..Hmmmmmmm. Oh wait..i do have an extra bottom end from the 87'.....

Now the the time to tear down....

Who on this site have ordered some re-produced graphics for the 1986 Vmax's - how was the quality to the OEM graphics (before i strip them and prep) - good,bad....like i said, i'll need all tunnel graphics,possibly both side panel graphics and hopefully the ski graphics to finish the max!!!
thanks again....
-matt
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Id be interested in some parts of your 87
esp if it was a running sled...or at least had spark...

-Dan
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

???? im pretty sure he is restoring the sled, i dont think he is selling parts
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
MSASRX

Post by MSASRX »

Sorry Guys- as i got the 1980 Enticer 340 fully restored for my son, but i've been working on too many "other" people's sleds that I will most likely not get to my Vmax until spring..maybe even summer time. Its too bad as i really want to get this beast going for this winter:(

Not too bad- eh?

Dan -What do you need excatly ???
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

I'd like to have a spare stater assy and a cdi box