81 SRX MOD project

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
opsled

81 SRX MOD project

Post by opsled »

This is my latest project that I thought might have some interest for some of you. It started as a real rough mostly stripped 81 SRX chassie that was given to me and not worth restoring so I decided to do something different. The engine is an 86 540 that is sleaved, .040 over, Weisco Prolites, fully ported, cut head, bored 38's and modified Aaen pipes. It has Polaris P-85 primary and secondary clutches, Vmax-4 radiator, 77 SRX skis and shocks and an 03 RX1 hood. The track is a Camoplast speed track with 240 Roetin angled chisles. Everthing else is basicly stock 81 or custom made. It is still in mockup and not finished but is running. I have had it out on the grass and if we get some ice this year I will do some testing and speed runs to get the clutching, jetting, gearing and suspension issues worked out. So far it feels real strong and launches real hard and straight but I only have about 250ft of flat ground to run on before I have to get out of it so it's hard to tell where it will be until I can get it out on the lake and get serious. I'm sure there will be changes that will need to be made so I am going to get the mechanicals worked out and then finish the body. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a dud at the radar runs but I think it should do allright. I like all kinds of sleds including customs and mods and if any of you are like me you have alot of extra parts and pieces laying around that you can't throw away but need something to do with them so use you imagination. I figure if Pauly Tuttle can build a chopper out of a bunch of old iron and store bought parts I can give it a try even if no one is paying to do it.
Happy Holidays and pray for snow, Phil Image

Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Wow..... I don't even know what to say......just Wow.........and lots of time ! ! !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
agfirecat

nasty

Post by agfirecat »

phil what was the outcome on this drag sled did you get to race it at all yet or are you still working on it?
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

opsled hows this sled coming along?
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Phil, your test track is waiting this Sat. Troys Grass drags and swap meet. 500 ft, clay starting line. About 20 min south of Lake Geneva right on Rt 12. Same places as the snow x races all winter. Usually we have a booth their for the 120 sleds, but Sat. I will only be there till early after noon, have to drive up to Lake Superior, so were not racing either. I did post pic's of our mod in the My projects section, VooDoo max . Yours looks great
If you make it there, I'm easy to find, long hair, beard, and a bad limp. Ive spent a life time trying to prove you can pass a bicycle threw a car, right now, cars are winning 3 to 0 :lol:
http://www.grassdrags.racine-extreme.com/
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

Bob Vehring wrote:Ive spent a life time trying to prove you can pass a bicycle threw a car, right now, cars are winning 3 to 0 :lol:
http://www.grassdrags.racine-extreme.com/
:shock: thats funny!... painful im sure but funny.... way to not give up... 4th time is lucky?
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Can't walk far, or be on my leg to long, but still ride bike everywhere I go, Ride till the snow falls and no problem doing 40 miles on a ride. I love it, its almost like snowmobiling
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

that is a coincidence bob you talking about walking with abad limp and riding bike. as i just started walking again.with a bad limp as i accidently launched my tri-z 250 into the trees 8 weeks ago and broke my ankle. and riding my mountain bike to stretch it out and get mobile again.now i can getworking on the sleds. the srx needs the gearcase seal replaced and new sliders . stud the track. my vmax i found that a mouse got in their and chewed my oiltank line so afull tank of oil leaked out under the motor :evil: .it needs a good cleaning. rebuild the recoil and stud that track new sliders. if anyone has any input this chime in i was thinking of replumbing my oil feed lines into the intake manifolds instead of at the fuelpumps. i remember reading about this a while back but couldnt find it. another thing i was gonna try out was installing a set of 540 pipes on my 440srx . i read that thread on another site some where its said to really help the 440 out throughout the powerband. only they used 82 vmax 500 pipes . i tried to get answers from anybody to verify the size difference the 500 and 540 pipes but didnt get any feedback.im gonna see if bertolino can comparethe pipe sizes for me there is also a guy in sweeden on here that has a 500.ill post if i find any info.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

when i replaced the lower seal in my 81 srx chaincase ... i had to special order it from a local bearing dealer... of course i had to order 5 when i did that so let me know if you would like to buy one... ill have to look and see what i paid for them
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Just a side note re. mice. I have one of those old 50's "canned Ham" campers all fixed up in my back yard. I had the mouse problem. Someone told me about those little boxes that plug into 110 and make a noise we can't hear, but mice can, and they don't like it. Thought it was a joke so far 3 years and not even a mouse turd.
This thing is only 7x13 ft, not sure if it would take more for something the size of a shop.
Ag, keep riding, My kid, well he's 30, spent 2 of the last 3 years down with broken ankles from racing. He rode with me to get the movement back after 10 months of casts It helped alot.
opsled2

srx mod sled

Post by opsled2 »

how was the outcome of this mod sled?? Well let me explain. there was no outcome, never raced, never run, just sat in the garage next to all the other sleds. But not anymore. Its finally getting worked on again. But its been taken over by a new owner (Me). Opsleds (Phil) son. I have been staring at this project for years waiting for my dad to finish it. Well, i just couldnt have that. needless to say, its still in the family and in good hands. I have decided to keep alot of my fathers ideas, but incoprerating many of my own.. In fact im changing alot of things, even the motor. Im puting it back to the 440 srx top end, and many changes on the chassis. So, Im hoping to get this sled up and ready for the races this year.

Thanks,
Opsled2
(Steve)
opsled2
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

good luck on the resurection that is a sweet looking drag sled. it will be great to see it get done
opsled

Re: 81 SRX MOD project

Post by opsled »

This sled is going to be sold.

My son (Steve) who initially wanted to build it can't ride or race or drive or work, etc,etc. He developed epilepsy at about age 17. An athletic go getter who is a natural at anything requiring phsycal anything. With meds things were controled and and he functioned normally like anyone else. He was hired by Bucyrus as a welder at age 18. Worked fabbing custom aircraft exhaust prior to that. The kid's got a nack and is an artist with a welder. At age 20 was knocking down $32 an hour welding big iron at Bucyrus and busting all the OT he could. World by the balls,,,,,,,, That ended two years ago when he started haveing a new kind of seizure we can't stop called "Drops". They lock him up tight in mid stride an he goes down like a tree cut with a saw. Slow to start but straight and stiff until he hits the ground with a thud. They last abut ten seconds but he can't move until it's over. Has had a broke jaw and busted out teeth from hitting the concrete on the way down amongst many other battle scars. One of the first ones he had was while coming to the shop on a Sat afternoon to change oil on his Jeep Liberty. It is now junk after the rollover. Thank God knowone was hurt. He hasn't driven since and dosent ride either. Basically nothing that could endanger him or someone else should a drop decide to grab him. They come out of the blue sometimes 10 a day and then nothing for a week. Frustrating as fu ck for a 23 year old who could do it all if not for. Pisses his old man off too. I have always been able to fix anything I took a mind too but I'm helpless with this. Kills me to see him struggle knowing I can't do anything to help. He is a trooper and always keeps a smile. Has moved back home and can't work but does what he can down in my shop with me. Still capable but can't be left alone just in case something happens and those happenings come at random.

Anywho, because he can't ride/race it and because I can't bear to watch him sit on the sidelines while I do we have decided to get rid of temptations like this. We both sold our RX1 trail sleds and are trying to limit things to just our Vmax-4 projects. This is one that got started early on and put on hold when he started working as a welder. Doesn't look like things will change for the better anytime soon and it's just taking up space so it's heading out the door.

These are old pics in this thread and it is still about the same. The 77 SRX skis are gone and the track will be different, Engine will be a good stock 540. It will be a roller that runs and drives with steel skis. Will be a cool project for someone to finish but for now we have other fish to fry.

I'll be lsiting it on ebay once it's back together (by the end of the week hopefully) and will post a link when it goes up.

Didn't mean to get windy and not looking for sympathy but it sometimes helps to tell the story just to clear the fog that accumulates in my brain.

Thanks for the site guys and all the friendships I've found here and elsewere.

opsled
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Opsled My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. I have a 19 year old son and I can not imagine....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
opsled

Post by opsled »

Vmax540 wrote:Opsled My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. I have a 19 year old son and I can not imagine....
Thanks for the words.

Hug em while ya got em because you never know what life will bring.

This is a game changer and I am in constant fear of what the next seizure will bring.

Sometime I don't know ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I just don't know.