VooDoo Max

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
chrisrider63

Re: VooDoo Max

Post by chrisrider63 »

interesting, you would think that the srx cdi would make the engine rev like a srx (not a trait i would want for my trailriding vmax) but would be interesting to see....
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

WHen I bought this thing, while everything outside looked pretty good, once I tore into it, it was a mess. It had new pistons in it but wouldn't run. Cleaned the carbs and it started but stuck a piston in less then 2 min just idling. Piston were too tight with only .001 clearance. The cyls look like they were ported by a madman with an axe. Ex ports are way to high which only got worse as I cleaned them up. Transfers are not close to matched. It also had 81 SRX pipes on it and has been re-wired
This engine will never be right which is why I strted the other engine project. The kids new race sled took up most of last winter, thought I'd finish it over summer, then found the $50 Inviter, which I always wanted, now I'm bringing another free SRV home from the races Sat.
I'm not even looking for more sleds and they keep showin up here :lol:
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I think the Srv and the V Max were foolin around when the trailer doors were closed.
They had a Baby

Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob nice looking little one..... I knew I needed an enclosed trailer...... :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
81srx

Post by 81srx »

hey vmax 540, i see that there are srx 440 pipes on you sled? like the pics on page 4......just wandering if thats a 540 motor
YAMAHA ALL THE WAY!!!!
Sleds
2001 srx 700 (bender can) :D
1998 vmax xt 600
1991 exciter 570 (bender pipe) :D
1981 srx 440
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

81srx wrote:hey vmax 540, i see that there are srx 440 pipes on you sled? like the pics on page 4......just wandering if thats a 540 motor
On my sled Vmax540 I run the stock pipes. There is a picture on pg. 4 with both examples.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

When I got this sled, it had 440 pipes on it. Someone here spotted it and thanks to Chuck, I now have the right ones for it
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

So after searching everywhere for the missing vents for the 250, and having no luck, heres what I ended up with

Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Touch of Class ! ! !
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Unfortunately this project got side tracked last year Over the last few weeks, we got alot done. Just some final clean up on the ports and the cyl's go off to be plated. Found a new bottom end at Haydays so were rolling again.
Sorry got the pic's out of order
The top one is a Yami factory race cyl, stock, transfers are different then production cyls.
The sec. is the 618 cc cyl's we are working on.
third is the Cyl I ran last year, stock '83 which I did mild porting to
last two are more of the 618

Last edited by Bob Vehring on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Here's the ex. ports
Top two are 618
sec. is factory race cyk
3rd are my old ones

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Heres some pic's of the welding needed to open up the transfers as we did, also notice the Patch now welded over the upper part of the transfer. We were worried with as much grinding we did on the upper turn of the transfers, that we might be getting close to hitting the water passages inside. We milled threw the outer wall so we could drill threw the inside of the water passage to the transfer port.. If it was thin, we would have added material to that area. fortunatly there was plenty of meat left so we just welded it back up and should be fine.

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well believe it or not, Cyls are back from being plated, bottom end is assembled for good, well, I hope. I've got to cut some base gaskets tonight. We had to deck the cases and make a plate to go under the cyl's, thats done. Hopefully the domes can get re cut this week and we can finish this up.
I can't believe I started this thread back in '09, looking back through it, I guess I did slip in a few other projects but looks like this could be done in a few weeks, well, providing I can find every thing to put it back in the sled :D
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Robert 09 You crack me up.... :) but, then no one can say you don't have stick to it when it comes to a project ! Can not wait to see your end results !
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Chuck, wait for the next one, I just started cutting up a Trail Indy to put the IFS ft end on my old 76 Eltigre. This was my first hot rod, in the late 70's I put a 440 Rupp Liqued in it, over time it became more race and less trail as I started dumping off anything that didn't need to be on it. I finnaly cut the ft end off and welded up a Anderson style ft end, it became Wendy's first open mod race sled. It got a 521 SkiDoo, back when that was a big engine and my first sled with nitrous. 5th race out it exploded a track and flipped very hard, sled went through at 128, Wendy followed at 108 on her ass. Stripped it down and has been in the basement since mid 80's
going to weld it up and probably put a 617 Rotax I have sitting around in it, maybe a 144 track and skid to get off trail a little