VooDoo Max

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Bob Vehring

Re: VooDoo Max

Post by Bob Vehring »

See, now I'm really confused, The numbers on mine, other then the 8u9 don't match, this sled has been butchered by someone before I got it. Maybe this has been the problem all along.
This is the only VM I have ever looked at or worked on, Hard for me to know whats right, whats not. Heres the way it came to me. Wires come out of stator. Instead or plugs like my SRV, each wire has a quick disconect end individually, I know this is a hack job because wire colors do not match. From there the wires are nicely taped all together and they run all the way over to behind the sec clutch in the area behind the vent cover. It is tie wrapped to a alum plate. At the box some wires have quick disconect ends, others just crimped together. While the 3 ft long pigtail has completely different colored wires, I did check that the wires coming from the stator do match to the same colors coming out of the box.Now I'm wondering if its even the right box.
Where is the box mounted from the factory on everyone elses sled? On my SRV its mounted down by the back of the engine on the mag side near where the stator wires come up from the engine
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob Vehring wrote:See, now I'm really confused, The numbers on mine, other then the 8u9 don't match, this sled has been butchered by someone before I got it. Maybe this has been the problem all along.
This is the only VM I have ever looked at or worked on, Hard for me to know whats right, whats not. Heres the way it came to me. Wires come out of stator. Instead or plugs like my SRV, each wire has a quick disconect end individually, I know this is a hack job because wire colors do not match. From there the wires are nicely taped all together and they run all the way over to behind the sec clutch in the area behind the vent cover. It is tie wrapped to a alum plate. At the box some wires have quick disconect ends, others just crimped together. While the 3 ft long pigtail has completely different colored wires, I did check that the wires coming from the stator do match to the same colors coming out of the box.Now I'm wondering if its even the right box.
Where is the box mounted from the factory on everyone elses sled? On my SRV its mounted down by the back of the engine on the mag side near where the stator wires come up from the engine
On the tunnel, in front of fuel pumps, behind the water pump and Below the radiator (in one of the many almost completely in accessibile areas of these sleds.........)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Mine is deffinately moved, took me quite awhile to find it last year. I will dig up the camera and post a picture, Hopefully you can tell if the box even looks right.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Heres what I have for a box, again the numbers I see are
TYPE TIA01-43
8u9-10 6604 is ina box after that
says Hitachi, as tha manufactorer

BTW guess its my camera, still have the right side of the pic being cut out
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

My two source coil, and Pulsar readings all came out well with in spec.
That leaves me at the box, I assume no way to check it Unless having 3 ft of extra lenght added to the wires between down my the engine, and where they moved it on the left side of the sled could be a factor.
Again will start fine, but takes no power, just bogs.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Ok Found the problem This is still the engine it came with, some hack did it. I checked compression twice before. just over 100 # other side. Not finding anything else wrong, I pulled the head burned, the edge on the piston in 2 places. I really still want to ride this year but don't feel like buying a new piston just for that, Guess I'll park it
Thanks for the help guys
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Strangest thing, pulled it out of the box today..............................and it started right up

I think it just doesn't like snow :oops:
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Mine siezed up in the field i put it away and the next day ran great, you can throw these things off a cliff and they still run.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I planed on being back on the VM engine project over the summer, that again got side tracked when I found this a month or so ago. Only has 1300 miles but was used last for bombing threw the woods by some guys up the street. Ski's bent, hood in two pieces, seat schreded, and set in a feild for a few years. Other then some work, I got $50 bucks in it

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

ummm, still have a problem with only getting 3/4 of the pic up
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob Vehring wrote:ummm, still have a problem with only getting 3/4 of the pic up
Bob I have complete wiring harnesses and CDI's that I could send. H 814 354-2687 Chuck
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Chuck, If I remember this all right, I think OEM the CDI box was somewhere on the back lower side near the engine. I couldn't find a box anywhere on mine, finally found it after taking off the side panals down by your left foot. No idea why its mounted there. I then traced back all the wiring, checked with a ohm meter and matched up all the wire locations and it seamed right and good. I did put a stator in it awhile back

Thought I had it sorted out at the end of last year drove 4 hrs up north to test it and problem came back after 15 min, put it in the box for the summer, brought it out a few weeks ago and seems perfict Starts and runs fine right now. It would only take me a few weeks to finish up the big engine but just can't get to it, were swamped with 120's and the kids racing starts soon.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob, I never thought of CDI's as being intermitten until..... I experienced it for myself. They can break down, start mis firing and sometime shut off and will not start until they are either cooled down or discharged ? I have two such CDI's in my garage. As your sled has, I made an extension to allow me to plug in and test a CDI near my left footwell on my 86 ( no more fighting to get to the CDI) !
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

I ran into at a grass drag a month ago, an older guy who was into SRX's back in the day and he said get the Original 81 SRX or 1980 SS440 CDI which has a straight timming curve(?) and is very reliable he said this will end your CDI problems. He said you need to run a jumper to ground with this setup and could not remember exactly how ?