Clutch Help needed for Project Sexy-Max

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
KylejSmith

Clutch Help needed for Project Sexy-Max

Post by KylejSmith »

I have a 1985 Vmax I bought last year and have spent countless hours rebuilding it from the ground up. i'm on the final stages and took it out for a test drive last weekend, the clutch was not engaging properly and sled would not go above 60 KM/H. After inspecting the clutch (Comet 108C, Orange/silver spring, A-2 Weights, 1 1/4" belt) it is cracked in 2 places. So i'm one more large expense away from finishing this project!!.

I'm a novice wrench head and all the clutch topics on here have made my eye cross. I am going to have to buy a complete new clutch with weights and spring, so if I have to spend the big bucks I'd like to buy a setup that will be a good starting point for me. I have recently replaced the PSI exhaust that was on the machine with the factory exhaust, not sure if that will matter with spring/weight selection.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me a good clutch,weight,spring setup to buy that will get me running pretty good until further adjustments can be made. I'm in Alberta, Canada Elevation is 2800 ft were I live. We like to trail ride in the mountains at times which takes us to 5400 ft. So a setup in between this would be nice. I'm not a drag racer, and prefer a blistering fast trail ride and the odd long straight sack-tucking wide open stretch.

Like I said, i'm a little wet behind the ears to this clutch setup world so any advice would be great.

(I'll post pics of the Sexy-Max if I can figure out how.)
Attachments
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2909.JPG
Bob Vehring

Re: Clutch Help needed for Project Sexy-Max

Post by Bob Vehring »

Looks nice. Sorry I can't help you with a set up for what you have, my engine is not stock. What I will say is if your buying new, most of my sleds have always had Comet 102 or 108. When I finished the new engine for the V Max last year I used a Polaris p85. So far so good, but I was sick and tired of bushings being beat out of the Comets in a season
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Kyle, Sharp looking sled, I see you like to detail ! Either way, If you're staying with the 102 or going to the 108 I'd run the A3's and the purple #207758A spring. If you go with the 108/wide belt you need to either machine the secondary helix or go to a different secondary in order to gain any benefit.

Thanks for visiting V.V. !
Chuck S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
KylejSmith

Post by KylejSmith »

Chuck, the 217506A clutch you spec in your "Read before Asking" Post. Is that the Wide belt 108? or can i use that without having to alter my secondary? Id like to just find a quick easy replacement without having to alter to many things.

If I go with a 102 instead of the 108 I had on originally, will my belt size change?

Sorry if my questions are ignorant.. I'm not very experienced with this. haha.