Set Up for Ovals

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Bob Vehring

Re: Set Up for Ovals

Post by Bob Vehring »

Two guys from here racing together, this is going to be better then the Packers Bears game :mrgreen:
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

eh hell who needs power steering?... if the pits are on the outside try to get close to the "pit out"... that way when they start calling heats we are in the line up area already haha
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

well doubleclutch is running somethign other than a yamaha so i might deny knowing him... we'll see hahahaha
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

You can still let him come in 2nd
killerklown

Post by killerklown »

I hope you guys take pictures!!! of the yamahas anyway!
good luck guys...
DoubleClutch

Post by DoubleClutch »

Hay who ever get's there first and can get 3 pit spots buy the pit out grab them cause another friend of mine is bringing his Polaris and we will need the room for all the Trophy's!!! LOL :D If I had my ss440 together I would have raced it insted.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

alright now that the snowdust has settled ill update on the outcome

double clutch came away with a throphy in his class, or someone elses class, im not sure how that went and ill let him fill you in.

i managed to register for vintage and the 501-600 liquid class.

in vintage they put me in 441+ independent (front) mod. well guess what, i was the only one in that class haha... there was another guy that brought a 441+ leaf mod, and he was the only one in his class... they combinded him and i and we were suppossed to race head to head...

well they called "all vintage sleds to the pit gate for hot laps" so i went out in the second set of hot laps for vintage sleds. a guy lost his hood in the first turn we made (3-4) i swerved around that haha the lights on the track were blinking yellow but everyone was ripping past me so i said screw it and started hammering down. probably ran about 5 hot laps and headed back to the pits...

took off my helmet and stretched my left arm and the called 501-600 liquid for hot laps... i went out with those guys and ripped around... felt pretty good the white flag came out for hot laps and a guy flipped in 3 and 4... i slowed and rode past him as he was struggling to get out from underneath his sled... i almost stopped but im not and emt, and he turned out fine....

back to pits...

they called the rest of the hot laps and then started calling 340 vintage, followed by 440 vintage, there were a few different classes of each according the fan, free air, liquid, mod and stock... well i waited and waited to here my class called and nothing... then they called the 501-600 liquid... i got in the 2nd heat...

they were doing rolling starts as not to tear up the track seemed like a great idea as i was not keen on tearing up my track trying to pull a holeshot anyways. well 4 artic cats got out front and went four wide with the pace sled on the very outside. hind sight is 20/20 and i should have squeezed up there 5 wide but i was slightly intimidated by going 5 wide into turn 1 with all that floresnt green...........

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

so anyways the 4 green guys were lined up 4 wide kissing eachother and me and another yamaha, i think 94-96 vmax 600 were in the second row there was also 2 other sleds behind me i dont know what they were....

they dropped the green and the snow dust flew (the track was ice covered with hard packed snow and nice at least to start with) there was alot of stuff hapenning all at once but i guess one guy must have went past me because i ended up racing a guy outta turn 2, i smoked him down the back strech... caught another guy in 1 and 2 and followed him dont the back straight... passed him coming outta 4... i then tried like hell to catch the 4 artic cat guys but i couldnt do it in a 3 lap heat race... tho i think i was gaining on 4th place he was still probably 50ft ahead of me and i ended up 5th....damn...

so then i went back to pits and continued my arguement that my heat race was skipped... didnt get very far, they tried to tell me that i missed the heat race and i told them that i was 1 of 2 in my class and unless they let a guy race himself then i didnt miss it... they were busy and confused so i got nowhere...

they ran all of the heats and then took an intermission to work on the track... im not really sure what they did to it to be honest i was still trying to figure out why i didnt get a vintage heat... chuck was even in the grandstand and said they were announcing my name like i was on the track and i guess the other "tyler ochs" won his heat hahaa...

anyways once racing resumed they told me that i infact did not miss my heat race, that they just simply didnt have one because there was only 2 sleds and they "just moved us to the feature" (even tho there WAS another heat race with just 2 sleds.... bullshit, they forgot us!) anyways.....

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i went out for my vintage feature against a guy who looked pretty serious and was pitted next to the other guys who were serious, supposedly there was a guy there that finished 3rd at eagle river this year in the 250 class but thats beside the point.. i figured they guy probably had a serious engine under the hood so i wasted no time hammering the gas as soon as the flagman twitched. i led him into the bottom of turn 1 and i could hear him behind me... mashed the gas off of 2 and never heard from him again... not that i wasnt wondering where he was... i raced like he was right on me because i still figured he had a fast sled and expected him to come around me on the last lap... he never did and i took my first feature win....

about 2 features after that i was up for the 501-600 concellation race....
i thought they might give a throphy out for this race so in my new found greed i was going to do whatever i could to take 2 home... i got right up in the front line and with my confidince from the vintage feature i mashed the gas as soon as the green came out and left all but 1 artic cat in the dust... that cat led me into 1 and 2 by about 3 sleds maybe.... i kept with him down the back straight and thru 3 and 4 then into 1 and 2 and then he quit screwing around and toasted me down the back... the race was now for second... i just raced the track for 2 laps and then started to get kinda tired (never fully rested my weak arms from the vintage feature).... thats when a silverish sled came up on my outside... i realized i had better get with it for the last 2 laps and we raced pretty tight ... i think at one point he got ahead of me but i manged to get back past him running my slower but shorter extreme bottom line.... coming out of turn 4 to the checker i looked up and saw him about a sled back on the outside with a run... so i attempted to slide job him and we smacked skis... bounced off eachother and i beat him to the line by about 1 foot... from what i hear that was one the most exciting points fo the day... i wouldnt know because i spent most of my day trying to figure out that vintage mess....

anyways all in all it was an awesome day even tho my face got probably the worst windburn i have ever had hahahaha!

DoubleClutch

Post by DoubleClutch »

Thought I would let you all know the photos are up on Sharn Speedways site and on http://www.printroom.com/GHome_main.asp ... oup_id=230
I will be post up about the race soon as I get the chance.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well guys, I just put up a bunch of pictures of our new oval sled, go to my 120 site http://www.120sledracer.com and click on the forum. There are sections their on both the oval sled and the old drag sled as well as a section for all my vintage ones.
Tyler, how did I do on the main 120 site, first one I set up myself, well I came up with everything but Shari made it all work. I still have no idea on computer stuff :oops:
DoubleClutch

Post by DoubleClutch »

OK well the day started when I rolled in the gate at 9am and there ways a line waiting to get in. Thought to myself this is going to be a good turnout!! And it was, over 100 sled's and not counting the people that came to watch! Met Vinny (tocheaptosmoke) and Bill (snowmobilly) at the registration booth. After going the gate went to the end of the pit area and parked buy the entrance to the track and unloaded! Had to worm up the sled cause she's a cold hearted bitch and got my gear on. Went over to chat with tocheap and the guys and Tyler540 call me on the cell and said he's there so we all finally get to meet each other. So after wondering up to take a look at the track condition we here that we need to get the sleds to tech inspection so we fire them up and head over. Tech was a breeze they opened the hood and asked is it stock and does everything work? Well you could have had it modded and they wouldn't have known. Shortly after they call my class Vintage 0-400 Liquid IFS for hot laps so being right at the entrance I was the first sled to brake in the fresh snow on the track :D There was about 8 sleds or so that went out and on the 2nd or 3rd lap a sled flipped in turn 3 and 4 and I had to Dodge around him or I would have been into his sled that was laying on it's side. Must have done about 8 laps cause my arms where really pumped and hurting. After getting off the track and all the rest of the classes where done getting there hot laps they called for the first heat race and I and another Polaris where the first class to go. These were 3 lap heats and my sled wasn't steering threw the corners but i did finish 2nd out of 2 sled. :lol: Went back to the pits and did some tweaking to the sled to get more ski pressure buy tighting the limiter strap and softening the front shock, also tightened the right torsion bar hoping it will help. They took intermission and I tried to get something to eat and the line was long and slow moving and what do you know I am about 6 people from getting my order and they call for the Feature race's to start so i had to jump on the sled and get to the track entrance and what do you know they sent out a sled that shouldn't have been out there and I'm sitting there wondering what the hell just happened??? Image
The official tells me to go out with the next class which is Vintage 0-400 Leaf spring. We go out on the track and there is 5 of us and 3 of them were in front of me and I wanted to get in line with the other in the front to try and get the hole shot but the Pace sled was in the way so I got as close as I dare and when we came around turn 3 I was keeping a eye on the flag tower and the Pace sled at the same time, not to easy to do!!
Last edited by DoubleClutch on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DoubleClutch

Post by DoubleClutch »

just before the tower the Pace sled moved up to the high side of the track and the flagman drops the green and I pin the go lever and hope for the best! Turn 1 and 2 I was on the high side of the track and into the back stretch i manage to get past 1 of the 3 that where in front of me
and then I look to my left and see I can get lower and go for it! Turn 3 and 4 where Icy in the middle so i try and stay in the snow at the bottom of the track and it held pretty good but still plowing the ski's threw the corners. We come out of turn 4 and there is just 2 sleds left and they where holding low so I try the top side again and it seemed to work ok but you got to keep the rpm's up to keep the speed up to carry it out of turn 2 and I keep up on the high side on the back stretch and was able to pass one more sled and slid down into 3 and 4 and hold the low line. Coming down the front stretch I want to get low but the sled I went buy is holding close to my left so I go high and he's hanging right there and the front sled messed up and started sliding and we both keep high and he about slid into me but I keep it pin and I think he lifted cause I seen he dropped back and out of turn 2 we come.Image
I can hear that sled behind me so I know I got to keep low or he will try and get by me and I was in first and I wasn't going to give it up that easy. So now i know I got to lean more and work the throttle in the turns to keep the rpm's up or he may get by me. I slid down into 3 and 4 as low as I can hold it and down the front stretch and I see the green flag still waving so I go low into 1 and 2 and I can still hear the sled behind me and into the back stretch and low again this time I got into the icy area and have to lift a little and come out of 4 a little high and still hearing the pipes of the sled behind me and he sounds closer than before and I see the white flag so I dive low into 1 and lean as far as I can and try to keep the ski's in the snow and play with the throttle to keep the rpm's up and she holds the line and down the back stretch. Image
I run the middle of the track and dive down for the last time and by now my arm's are pumped and burning but I hold the line below the icy area and come out of 4 still hearing the pipes of the sled behind me and I am thinking this is when he will try and get by me so I pin the throttle before I was out of the turn and it hooked up and held the low line and all I could see is the checkered flag and all that went through my mind was that was INTENSE!!!
So now I am hooked and want to do it again!!