Just when you thought winter was over..

Let us know what the riding is like in the area that you ride!
Joe

Just when you thought winter was over..

Post by Joe »

Just when you thought winter was over, I woke up to 2 inches of snow this morning and coming down hard. By the time I got back from church, there was 3 inches in the yard. My 16 year old friend that crashed my VMAX in January, came over and we finished installation of the hood. The sun came out and we put 5 miles each on the VMAX and the Venture out in my one acre field. He had to go home to work on home work at 4 pm, so I stayed outside and tried some larger jets in the Intruder. The jets made it run better and produced better plug color, so I decided to ride it for a while. By 5 pm, there was no untouched snow in the field (except for deep in the corners where you would need reverse to touch them). The wind came up and it rained about sunset erasing the evidence of our fun in the field. There is still 2 inches of snow where the sun did not hit during the day. It was fun, nobody got hurt, nothing broke, and we got our fresh air and exercise for the day.

It is too bad that the state is going to make us remove our studded snow tires in two weeks, Just today, the passes were 'chains required' for most, if not all, of the day.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Our usual riding area has been plagued by low visibility, wind and snow fall the last 10 days. There was 112 inches last weekend and the sensors are showing 128 inches tonight. That is 16 inches in the last 24 hours. Two more storms are predicted to come through before the weekend.

This coming weekend weather is predicted to be 40 degrees with clear skies.

I want to get out and enjoy the snow, but family obligations keep preventing me from going up on these nice weekends.

We rode more in April, May and June last year than the rest of the year combined.
Joe

Post by Joe »

We had a tough break tonight. The pass was closed again for snow removal, wreckage removal and avalanche control. The national weather service is predicting that the rain, wind, freezing fog, and snow will be gone for 48 hours starting about 3 pm on Friday.

I have five machines running for the weekend and have four people ready to leave at 5 am on Saturday. There are two more machines on a trailer for two more people to go. I am going to continue to call around looking for more riders and a truck to tow the trailer.

Should we go to Blewett pass with 4 inches of new snow on a 36 inch base or Stampede pass where we have 30 inches of new snow on a 109 inch base?

Decisions, Decisions.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Two people backed out at 9 and 10 pm Friday night. Too late to call around to find more people. Two of us took three machines up to Blewett pass.

The Blewett Pass trailhead parking lot had 20 inches beside the parking lot. The lot was mostly bare with ice in places.

The grooming contract ended on 31 March so the trail was up to 12 inch bumps.

There were no bare spots in the trail once we left the parking lot. 12 miles out we found a meadow with some hill climbs around it. The snow was hard and we were only getting a couple inches of penetration. Rob tried one of the tougher hills and made it only 3/4 of the way up. The track was still spinning when he stopped forward motion. The sled started going down the hill backwards fast even though the track was spinning forward. About 50 feet down the hill, it turned sideways and rolled over on him. He tried to get away from it, but once the handlebars passed bottom dead center, the sled caught up with him and pinned him to the ground face down in the snow. Two of us rushed to his aid and got the sled off him so he could breathe again. We rolled it back upright and it started right up. I rode it to the bottom of the hill and turned it off. He could not restart it. It appears that the throttle switch got pinched under the handlebar plastic. Once we removed the plastic, it ran the rest of the day without incident.

An hour later, Rob found a tree well at about 40 MPH. He almost rode it out the other side, but it was hard to control the sled once his belly button was against the handlbars and he was looking into the business end of the headlight. The tree well was only about three feet deep but it took five people to pull the sled out.

I only took three pictures on Saturday. My favorite is shown below.

I was standing in a 5 foot deep tree well to snap that photo with my phone.

The scenery was spectacular, The bumps were killer. We were exhausted after only 34 miles.

On the way back home, Snoqualmie pass was closed two hours for avalanche control. When it opened again, we tried to go over. 10 miles from the pass, we were at an all stop for two hours while the DOT cleaned up an untriggered avalanche in the same area they had done the avalanche control two hours prior. The pass was closed again Sunday for four hours to clean up another untriggered event.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ss06m.html
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/SouthCe ... Photos.htm
Joe

Post by Joe »

Copied from:
http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwat ... %20outlook

=======================================================================

450 PM PDT MON APR 13 2009

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST OREGON
AS WELL AS SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST WASHINGTON.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT

THUNDERSTORMS
EAST SLOPES OF THE CENTRAL CASCADES OF WASHINGTON, EAST SLOPES
OF THE SOUTHERN CASCADES OF WASHINGTON, KITTITAS VALLEY,
YAKIMA VALLEY, LOWER COLUMBIA BASIN OF WASHINGTON, FOOTHILLS
OF THE BLUE MOUNTAINS OF WASHINGTON, LOWER COLUMBIA BASIN OF
OREGON, FOOTHILLS OF THE BLUE MOUNTAINS OF OREGON

SNOW
NORTHWEST BLUE MOUNTAINS, NORTH CENTRAL OREGON, CENTRAL
OREGON, WALLOWA COUNTY, NORTHERN BLUE MOUNTAINS OF OREGON,
SOUTHERN BLUE MOUNTAINS OF OREGON, NORTHERN WHEELER AND
SOUTHERN GILLIAM COUNTIES, JOHN DAY BASIN, OCHOCO-JOHN DAY
HIGHLANDS

COOL AND UNSETTLED WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TODAY AND TONIGHT
WITH SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS. SNOW LEVELS WILL
LOWER FROM 4000 FEET TODAY TO AROUND 1500-2500 FEET TONIGHT. THIS
WILL LEAD TO LIGHT SNOW OF UP TO AN INCH IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS AND
UP TO 2 INCHES IN THE CASCADES AND EASTERN MOUNTAINS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY

THUNDERSTORMS TUESDAY
EAST SLOPES OF THE CENTRAL CASCADES OF WASHINGTON, EAST SLOPES
OF THE SOUTHERN CASCADES OF WASHINGTON, EASTERN COLUMBIA RIVER
GORGE OF WASHINGTON, EASTERN COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE OF OREGON,
NORTH CENTRAL OREGON, CENTRAL OREGON

SNOW TUESDAY
NORTHWEST BLUE MOUNTAINS, GRANDE RONDE VALLEY, WALLOWA COUNTY,
NORTHERN BLUE MOUNTAINS OF OREGON, SOUTHERN BLUE MOUNTAINS OF
OREGON, NORTHERN WHEELER AND SOUTHERN GILLIAM COUNTIES, JOHN
DAY BASIN, OCHOCO-JOHN DAY HIGHLANDS

UNSTABLE CONDITIONS WILL BRING SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
THUNDERSTORMS TO THE AREA ON TUESDAY AND TUESDAY EVENING. CONTINUED
ABNORMALLY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL GIVE PORTIONS OF THE REGION UP TO
AN INCH OF SNOW ON TUESDAY NIGHT. THEN ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT...HIGH
PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVER THE AREA...LEADING TO FAIR WEATHER AND A
STRONG WARMING TREND THAT WILL LAST THROUGH THE WEEKEND

=======================================================================

This adds up to a full parking lot (250 tow rigs) at the trailhead by 9 am.

I am considering taking my motorhome up on Friday night to make sure I have a parking spot and get some seat time before the trail gets chopped up too bad for my vintage sleds.

I doubt that it will be Tee shirt weather like last May nor sunburn weather like last June.

The SNOTEL site reports 109 inches of snow on the ground tonight. It snowed only 3 inches in the last 48 hours. The other 1.5 inches was rain.
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Your killin me Joe, been bike riding for a month................. not by choice
Joe

Post by Joe »

I would love to try some bikes this time of year.

The ones I would like to try are pictured at:
http://www.2moto.com/Photos/Customer_Pi ... _Hudson_2/
and
http://www.2moto.com/Ride_2Moto/Videos/ ... VD/Part_1/

There were some of these up on the power lines two rides ago and they looked awesome.

It was kind of eirie to hear that big thumper blasting through the woods at that time of year with a six speed and a Supertrap. It just didn't sound right.
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got out on the sleds again today. One group of three people spent the night in the motorhome at the trail head. The other group of three got up at 6 am. left at 7 am and arrived at 9:30 am.

We went up to Stampede pass and visited the weather station. The snow was about a foot below the top of the door and there was still snow over the top of the building so people were still riding over the building. The snow sensor is currently reading 105.2 inches a couple hundred yards from the weather station. The high today at the weather station was 50F. When we left the parking lot, the motorhome thermometer was reading 64F.

The snow was hard in the morning and softened up by mid afternoon so much that everyone got stuck at some time during our last ride starting at 2:45.

A long time Polaris rider spent a lot of time on the VMAX today and did not want to trade sleds at the end of the day. He liked it. He said it had nice balance and good power. He did not want to ride anything heavier because he was so tired. That was impressive since the other machines were '97 Polaris's and an '01 Arctic Cat.

Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Joe

Post by Joe »

The snow level was 4000 feet Thursday night. Sawmill Ridge got 5 inches of new snow overnight. We took Friday off from work and parked at 2400 feet elevation near the Pyramid Creek SnoPark.

The first 3 miles of trail was alternating 200 yards of knee deep corn snow followed by 200 yards of bare gravel. At 3500 feet elevation the gravel patches ended.

The Polaris snowmobiles did not like the warm temperature (40 F) and high elevation. Both of them developed a bad bog when trying to start moving from a stopped condition. It only appeared above 4000 feet.

The road had melted at the outside edge more than at the inside ditch making it necessary to use the sidehilling technique to stay on the road. See photo below. This photo was snapped while Jon was doing a plug reading.

The five inches of new snow on top of the corn snow made starting out from a stop difficult. Every time we stopped, the track dug a hole getting started again. Sometimes the hole resulted in getting stuck and needing help to get out. Sometimes it just made for interesting rooster tails. It really helped to remember to park with the skis lower than the track.

We got up to the saddle on the east side of Colquhoun peak and we ran up and down the side roads. Jon got too close to a tree resulting in his sled tipping into the tree well and stopping very aburptly when the handlebars connected with the trunk of the tree. I parked near him and stepped off my sled. It really surprised me when I immediately sank up to my arm pits. I could reach the foot board but not the handlebars. One of my boots got stuck under a tree limb. It took a couple minutes to get the boot free. I turned around to face the tree and found that it was easy just to climb the branches like a ladder. We tipped the sled upright and it refused to start. It would fire and sputter, but not run. By turning the fuel off and holding the throttle wide open, it eventually started and ran much better until it ran out of gas. Turning the fuel on, it returned it to its bogging state. When we dropped back under 4000 feet again, it ran normally. I diagnosed a carburator rich condition based on the fuel shutoff test, but the plug color was light tan like manila file folder paper.

The photo below shows where we were climbing around the saddle. The photo was shot from about a mile away on the north side of Sawmill Creek. The first photo was shot at the first corner below from the saddle down and to the right in the second photo. Mount Rainier should have been visible just to the right of the photo frame, but the cloud visibility ceiling was only about 5500 feet at the time of the photo.

Saddle location:
47° 7'45.95"N,121°26'21.83"W

Both Polaris sleds ran normally again on the way down the hill once we dropped below 4000 feet. Plug readings and EGT were normal both above and below 4000 feet. What could make the sleds run so badly in such a short change of elevation?
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Joe, personal opinion here, but, I don't trust plug color on today's pump gas for anything other then maybe long range overall condition, to many additives in pump gas.
I have many times seen EGT numbers reading low 800-1000, which usually would say Rich, but actually was too lean. I've seen this mostly in racing or well hot rodded engines on Alky. EGT can be a very reliable number when your dialed into that relatively small window, but you can be so lean that it doesn't make enough power to really pull 1200-1300 deg.
You don't say, when you talk about normal numbers and color, weather thats WOT pulls, part throthle crusing or what . If its part throttle cruising that is controlled for the most part by Needle jet and needle, often the main really has little effect in this range because it is capable of flowing more then what the Needle and NJ can pass in midrange
.My main driver is a much modified SRV, after years or trial and error, I have the jetting on 39.5 round slides dialed in to where I can keep it between 1000-1200 in either mid or WOT in about a 25 deg temp range ambient, by just moving the needles. for a 30 deg air changes I will change the mains. All my rideing is between 600-700 and I have an air density gauge in the trailer.
I'm not used to dealing with the alt. changes you have, but remember OEM jetting is chosen to protect the average sled from coldest temps they think the average guy will see, which means its often far from right for most conditions.
Glad to see you still have snow, we spent the day in t shirts racing karts with Steve and Chuck Decker from the Eagle River Championship Derby track, mostly talking about sleds :)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks for the reply Bob.

Both Polaris are 1997s with SLP exhaust kits and aftermarket reed valves. Compression ratio is stock. We are running premium pump E10 fuel. The 700 has SLP trail porting.

The sleds run fine through the entire throttle range at 3000 feet.

They lose the WOT capability at about 4000 feet.

At 4400 feet, they have trouble pulling from a stopped condition, but run good up to about half throttle. They actually make more power at half throttle than at full thottle.

By the time we got to 5000 feet, they barely ran well enough to pull themselves on a packed trail.

The strange thing was the Arctic Cat lost power linearly with altitude and had no starting or throttle position issues. The clutches were set up tighter on the Arctic Cat and it turned a lot more RPM.

The 700 EGT was reading 1180 to 1240 regardess of altitude or throttle position. The plugs were manila folder tan. The 500 did not have EGT but the plugs looked the same. Plugs were changed during the ride and the new ones looked the same as the old ones within about 2 miles.

My theory is both machines were set up too conservatively on the clutches. I believe the clutch engagement on both machines was right at the bottom of the torque band. Gaining elevation caused the torque band to move up slightly, causing the clutch to engage before the engine was on the pipe. I believe that by pulling the dark blue spring and installing an almond spring, the problem will disappear. I believe we can get the same effect by shimming the dark blue spring about 120 mils. I believe this theory can be confirmed either true or false by a simple test during the next ride at that elevation. We need to bring a spring shim (or an almond spring) and then change it out on the hill.

The 10 day forecast is for another six inches of snow in that area this week followed by a Saturday with no chance of precipitation. See green area in the upper left in the image below.

I will probably take the VMAX up there next trip because the Polaris blew the seal out of the rear shock and rides like a pogo stick.
Last edited by Joe on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Joe

Post by Joe »

We got this message this morning from the National Weather Service.

========================================================

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
812 AM PDT TUE MAY 12 2009

WAZ518-519-122315-
/O.NEW.KSEW.WW.Y.0025.090512T1512Z-090513T0000Z/
WEST SLOPES NORTHERN CASCADES AND PASSES-
WEST SLOPES CENTRAL CASCADES AND PASSES-
812 AM PDT TUE MAY 12 2009

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM PDT THIS
AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE WEST SLOPES OF THE WASHINGTON CASCADES
AND PASSES...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON.

THREE TO 8 INCHES OF NEW SNOW ARE EXPECTED OVER THE WEST SLOPES OF
THE WASHINGTON CASCADES TODAY. THE ALPENTAL SKI AREA IN SNOQUALMIE
PASS HAD ALREADY PICKED UP 3 INCHES OF NEW SNOW SINCE MIDNIGHT. SNOW
LEVELS WILL BE BETWEEN 2000 AND 3000 FEET...WHICH IS BELOW PASS
LEVELS. THE AIR MASS WILL BE UNSTABLE TODAY AS A COLD UPPER LEVEL
LOW CROSSES WESTERN WASHINGTON. AS A RESULT...SNOW SHOWERS MAY BE
HEAVY AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

IF YOU ARE TRAVELING ACROSS THE CASCADES TODAY...BE PREPARED FOR
WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS. CARRY CHAINS...EXTRA WARM
CLOTHING...AND BE PREPARED FOR DELAYS DUE TO ROAD CONDITIONS.

&&

$$

KAM

=================================================================

Winter is not giving up easily this year.
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Joe

Post by Joe »

Snoqualmie pass was closed twice today. Details at;

http://www.kirotv.com/news/19436258/detail.html
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Joe

Post by Joe »

We did not make it out this weekend.

The snow depth dropped from 70 to 43 inches this week. The 60+ degree days take a huge toll on the snow level when it stops refreezing at night.
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl- ... 7&state=WA

It looks like it was an average year for Stampede Pass although November and January were unusually dry. Charts are at:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/wyg ... S&state=WA

I found that my primary clutch spring was 110 pounds instead of 120 pounds preload. I shimmed it about 80 mils to bring the pressure back up. I expect to get a new spring ordered this week.

I found the weights in the clutch were 58 grams and the spares in the tool box were 56 grams. I changed them out also.

According to my college physics book, force is proportional to the square of the velocity, therefore the spring change should bring the RPM up about 4% and the weight change should increase it by about 2%.
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700